FAT ASS TIRES!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAT ASS TIRES!!

Can some one tell me the exact size tire that I can fit under my explorer without needing to jack it up?
And without having problems with having the tire rubbing the inside of the fenders and sway bar and all that ****?

I would like to have 33s on it but i'm thinking I will need something like largers springs?

Important!!!!
Say I want 33s on my X. What would be the total cost to make that happen? And what would I have to do, and have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may be able to fit 31x10.50 without a lift, but will probably have some rubbing with that size.

For 33s, depends if you want 33x10.50 or 33x12.50. The thinner ones will obviously be easier to fit.

2 options pretty much for fitting 33s: 1) 5-6" lift, some trimming. 2) 3" of lift, lots of trimming, and fiberglass flared fenders. There are many lift options for the first generation Explorer. I suggest you look around at other threads, feature trucks, etc for some ideas.

i have a '96 and run 31 x10.5 x15's with no rubbing, you can fit32's but you'll rub

4" and 33x10.5s is what I have. See my photo gallary.

on 95+ explorers, do eddie Bauer's have wider tires then xlts or limiteds? I always seem them, and it seems like they are. I havn't been able to go check a tire on one of them however.

hey guys

My limited has 235/75/15s on it......I would love to run something like the Super Swamper Thornbird tires in a 33/10.50x15......

could I get away with a body lift kit only? how many inches, and i'm not looking for side wall tire wide as much. I want a wide tire that sticks out.

And instead of the fiber glass I was thinking something like the bushwacker fender flairs. something like a 3 1/4 inch or something like that...

i dont think thornbirds come in a 33x10.5 they normally are wider. I have heard of them in a 31x13.5 and the grips on them make them look really wide.

can I fit 33s on my stock limited edition rims?

when you say trimming what are you talking about trimming? They should make axel extenders....lol....

anyway what kind of price range am i looking like with the lift kit???

can anyone tell me what the lug nut patter on my limited edition explorer is?

Your bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5

They do make wheel spacers, but they're usually only recommended when you have no other option; they're especially not very good with really wide tires due to the stress they can put on other components.

You could get 31x12.50 tires with 3" of lift (body lift). However, you'd need 15x10" rims with 3.5" backspacing or less. They'd stick out a lot. Not even the Bushwackers would cover them.

The main question we all need to know:
Is this all for looks, or actual offroading? If it's for offroading, what terrian (I'm assuming mud or sand)? These answers will help us recommend the best lift/tire combo for what you're going for.

what is back spacing?

I want to go off road....alittle for show but 99% offroad.
I wanna play in the mud and snow......

what size rims would i need?

i'm looking at either Super Swamper Thornbirds......or Baja Claw Radials...

right now my explorer is totally stock.....

Neither tire is a good choice for the mud. TSL radials are a good tire to consider. If you want a milder tire, the MTR and X-terrain along with SS's less aggressive tires are a good option too.

Why is everyone so hooked on the TSL tires? they are really pricey.....

I wannt to do mud bogging and snow because it is a ***** here in Central Pennsylvania in the winter...

So how about the Super Swamper Bogger tires?

How about the Michey Thompson Radial M-C II tires?

I have to tell you guys there isen't a hell of a lot of width space in the rear-end for wide tires on my '93. How do you get away with them fat ass tires back there?

Important!!!!!!!
Is there a smaller Sway bar that I could get, or something to take the place of the stock sway bar so that I can have a better turning ratio?

Originally posted by divinesoul777

because they kick @ss. the tsl series and boggers are really the only true mud terrains that can back up the term of "mud tire".
and tsl aren't that pricey. they are no more than good namebrand mud tires. i know the radials are actually cheaper. the boggers are expensive. they are mad for mudding.

i don't usually say this.. but you should try the search feature. all of your particular questions will be answered will minimal effort.

Is there a smaller Sway bar that I could get, or something to take the place of the stock sway bar so that I can have a better turning ratio?
Not sure your turning ratio has anything to do with your sway bar........

Robb

Apparently you're hooked because the Thornbird is a TSL tire. It stands for three stage lugs. But, the TSL radial and Bias ply are TRULY mud tires that will take anything you throw at them. I have seen them perform firsthand.

Important!!!!!!!

I can't beleive you just asked a question about sway bars and super swampers in the same post :rolleyes:

You should shoot for a BL and some 31x12.5 or 13.5 tires on 10" rims. If you want super wide shoot for like some 275/55/R15 tires. Thornbirds=made by TSL

1) I'm extremely new to this make your explorer an off road monster......
2) If the sway bar gets in the way of the tire turning to it's max then it has something to do with it... Maybe I used the wrong wording.
3) I thought this site was for explorer people.... Why would you wanna pick on another explorer people?

But anyway........I value all of the imput I get from you people.

When you said you've seen them first hand did you mean the Super Swamper Bogger tires?
But i'm not independantly welthy so i'll stick with the 31/12.5x15......

So, how do I post my pictures of my explorer on here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nobody's picking on ya..
its just that many of your questions make it sound it like you haven't tried to research any of this at all before posting. that's fine though. that's what we are here for. :)

swampers are pretty hardcore wheeling tires. many hardcore wheelers don't have swaybars. they get in the way and reduce articulation thus reducing "wheelability".
backspacing is basically the measurement that denotes how far your wheels hang out. the lower the number, the further out the wheels will stick.
i think you need to be an "elite explorer" to post pics. you can post links to pics as a "wannabe elite" though. when you post.. look up under the big list of message icons and there is a button for adding links. there are directions on the site somewhere too.

Back