FAT ASS TIRES!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAT ASS TIRES!!

Can some one tell me the exact size tire that I can fit under my explorer without needing to jack it up?
And without having problems with having the tire rubbing the inside of the fenders and sway bar and all that ****?

I would like to have 33s on it but i'm thinking I will need something like largers springs?

Important!!!!
Say I want 33s on my X. What would be the total cost to make that happen? And what would I have to do, and have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're sticking with stock height and sized tires get the BFG AT.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Why do you say that?

One more thing dude. If I could find a 4.10 limited slip front and rear axle in a salvage yard. Would It be a good swap for my stock explorer?

Divine, yes. It would give a considerable increase in acceleration.

Don't bother looking for a limited slip 4.10 front, it doesn't exist. Just get the open.

So get the limited slip 4.10 for the rear, and an open 4.10 for the front end?

IMO no reason to have a mostly stocker with mud tires. Your suspension and clearance will limit you more than stock sized ATs will. And they behave better for the most part onroad.

Axles: the rear will probably be easy to find and a plus is that you'll upgrade to disc brakes. I think 4.10s weren't offered until the second generation. You'd still need to get gears installed in your front diff. But a rear axle swap is easy if you can find a good donor.

Rangers with the Dana 35 IFS (91-94 explorer style) did have a 4.10 option though.

Is there a 4.10 LS rear made for the 93's? or would any year do?

So what am I looking at in the way of $$$ for the front and rear?

With new gears and installation about $1000. If you find a rear axle then it will be a direct swap and will just cost you an axle. Any rear out of a 91-01 X (and 01+ sports or sporttracs) will work. A Ranger rear will not work, though it's front might (I dunno), or you'd have to just get the gears and get them installed (about $300 for labor).

How hard would it be to install the gears myself?

Um, you could swap an axle, but I don't think with your level of knowledge you could do it without a bunch of research. Also, you need specialized tools.

No offense, but some things are better left to professionals.

If I found a Sport X and it have the 4.10 LS in the rear than chances are if the front is good as well. Just take both of them right?

Have you swaped gears yourself before?

Like I've said before, you'd have to find a 91-94 X (2 or 4 door doesn't matter) with 4.10 gears to get the front. 95+s have a totally different front, and I don't think many early Xs had 4.10s.

As for the gear swap, I've seen it done and know I'd never want to do it myself unless I had all the right tools. And I've done almost everything else except my transmission myself or with a little help. Just forget about setting up a ring and pinion yourself. Like I said, you'll be able to do the axle swap, but not the gear swap.

One more thing:

All of us are trying to help you without running ourselves nuts. Please read our posts carefully. Most of us know what we're talking about and you did come here for advice, so please listen carefully ;)

Will this size tire fit on my STOCK limited rims?

SSR-03R
27x9.50R-15LT
21/32
15x6.5-8.5J

Originally posted by divinesoul777
Will this size tire fit on my STOCK limited rims?

SSR-03R
27x9.50R-15LT
21/32
15x6.5-8.5J
Need a little clarification on those numbers. They are all over the place.
Robb

TIRE
27x9.50R-15LT
RIM
15x6.5-8.5J

stock is 15x6.5J

Back