Faulty ECM?

KH1

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V6
Hi Guys

I have a 98 EFI SOHC 4 Door (Uk export) & ....

The Engine warning light came up about 3 weeks ago, the fault code identified it as a fault on the 3rd shift solenoid (P0733). I had the solenoid replaced & the ECM reset, every thing was fine for about 45 minutes & then the light lit up again, Had the transmission shop check the code & it was the same P0733.

They reset the ECM, cleaned up the connectors & off I went, again about 45 minutes later the light lit again.

There does not seem to be any problem with the transmission changing up or down, although the performance is poor.

Last question where is the ECM located?

Appreciate any help, as I live in the UK & Explorers are not too common.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

under your passenger side kick panel.
I would check the wiring to said solenoid before you go looking for a new computer, however they have been known to fail.
Typically they will cause issues with no fault code or more codes then you are currently getting.

I suspect wiring/connectors between the PCM and the Trans first however.

Welcome to this forum! I have seen a lot of threads about faulty internal harnesses, and bad connection where the harness connects to the vehicle's harness. Try to unplug the transmission's harness, and spray out the contacts with contact cleaner. Do you still have the solenoid that they pulled out? It is a basic (on and off) type. Do a resistance check on it to see if is still good. It probably is, since you are still getting the same code coming up after you replaced it. The next step would be to do a continuity check from inside of the transmission's harness to its outside connector. One of the wires for that solenoid could be defective. How many miles do you have on it?

Thanks for the reply, I've done around 72000 miles, I did have an auto electrician look at it a couple of days ago & he cleaned up the connections, but still the problem exists.

sorry 98 the computer is in the engine bay on the firewall, not behind the kick panel for some reason I was thinking first gen

Back