• Register Today It's free!

Feel a little peed off

Purch1977

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Ok just downloaded the for scan software to have a shifty on all this systems and low and be hold a hand full of fault codes!!!
b1998 air bag
P1804 high 4x4
C1230 abs
C1102 abs
C1726 arc
I haven't had any lights or management flags
So started to look around and thought wait I haven't seem the abs light on the dash ignition on and no light so took the cluster out and someone has taken the bulb!!!!
Luckily both faults point to the rear sensor on the diff so I have one of those on order.
Just not sure about the high 4x4 and the air sus?
I can hear the transfer box clunk in to 4wd low but no clunk on high
Air sus I hear the motor before I start the car but I haven't notice it rising or lowering? Could this be from the shackle links?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be a little plastic link above the diff that attaches to an arm and tells it if the air suspension is at the wrong level. This can come off quite easily and can throw a warning light.

Shame about the bulb though. I guess that's one way to get it through an MOT!

Yeah to be honest I got the car for a song so a few faults I expect but I just fee that a little underhand!!

@ likemice, That plastic clip is a disgrace... actually the whole setup of the ride hight sensor is just insane.

you clip things on... 20 mile later, they're off again... then when you push the clips hard to engage them properly, they crack or snap. atm kine are zip tied together untill I get round to making some new arms from steel and bolt them together properly.
[MENTION=206431]pu[/MENTION]rch, If I were you I'd clear all of the codes, wait 50 miles or so and then scan again. They may be old codes that have not been cleared. If they all appear again then things should be looked at. If they don't then happy days.

I did reset the codes straight after and they re appeared! I have the spar wheel off at present as I was doing the undersealing.
One other thing I have notice is the canister above the spare wheel has a jack plug that doesn't have any wires going to it? Can't seem to find anything to go to it either??

Well in an evening and first thing in the morning I have clear the majority of codes just need the abs speed sensor to do the last!!

The canister above the spare wheel, is the suspension control unit, it should have a couple of plugs connected to it.

No not that one its next to it looks like the carbon filter?

The Evaporative system was fitted but not connected on UK Explorers, hence no wire connectors.

Thanks Kevin that explains it!!
Also in a side note the link that you put in with the 2inch shackles for the air suspension how long is it?
I have been doing trial and error and just want to make sure I have the right length!

I think you need to contact the manufacturer regarding the shackles.
I did a lot of research and testing on the ones I make and yours might be different.

They where fabricated from the design on here!
I have put a 3 cm spacer in and it looks about right on ride height but wanted to understand if it needs to be longer or shorter?

well got the ABS sensor from Rockautos and to be honest the delivery time was very good. sensor in and abs light now is extinguished!! result!!

Back