Feel like I won a bunch of money. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feel like I won a bunch of money.

Art Tonucci

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie bauer
Went to a ford dealer the last week feeling like I would by a new Explorer. My 2010 EB has 110,000. After seeing that the new Explorers are more soccer mom vehicles, I looked at the new Expedition. At 70,000+$, My Explorer was looking pretty good. Invested $2000.00 in shocks, controlarms,tie rod ends,
Ball joints,sway bar links. Picked her up today and she drives like new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand completely. Unibody and FWD just don't do it for me. The size and price of the Expedition don't either.

Be looking for the 2020 bronco. I have it on good authority it’ll be sitting on a Ranger chassis. It’ll be more of an Explorer than explorers.

I’m keeping an eye out for a 2010 EB to add to the fleet

What about the Australian Everest ?

That's what I want.

To the OP: I did the same last week. New set of General HTS Grabbers, new lower ball joints, alignment, new front brakes, and new rear sway bar link. Only set me back $1300 for all but worth every penny not to make those 7-year long car payments!

Quickstruts all the way around can add up quick. It's funny how many people ride around till the shocks are leaking to replace them, instead of going by milage or age (I'm one of those also). Quality auto parts arnt cheap but neither are these new vehicles. I'd need a safety patrol to accompany my $70k car in a wal mart parking lot and I'd still have anxiety. I love all my 10 year old + vehicles!

All that is nice til the timing chain pops. Not a cheap fix there!

Kuddos to the OP!! That's the way.
Major engine or trans repairs are one thing. But suspension bits and down-stream drivetrain parts are relatively cheap, and easy to get at for DIY, or not much time ($) for your mechanic.
Right-front CV boot went recently on our '06 Mounty. The entire CV shaft is like $50, and maybe 1.5 hours for my mechanic to replace. Will get that done soon, definitely before I take the camper anywhere.

Beachcomber -

What timing chains ????
Never heard of any issue with those :)
I thought they all had belts good for 1,000,000 miles :)

But seriously, like anybody else I guess I would love to have a new car.
There are number of candidates for that in the future (far far away), but the complexity and prices of the new trucks and suv's is mind blowing.
And as of now, there is no other car that even come close (maybe 4Runner) the level of utility, size and power to the 06-10 Explorers. My wife usually drives newer cars since I want her to be headache free and not get broken down somewhere, and even with her nicer cars my kids still prefer my old Explorer for family trips over her Tribeca before and Murano now.
And like The Brakeman said, you can get parts for it for really god prices.
The new Expedition is a nice machine, even the older ones are not bad. They just feel too big. I drove new Tahoes number of times from rental places and they feel much nimbler regardless of almost same size.

Beachcomber -

What timing chains ????
Never heard of any issue with those :)
I thought they all had belts good for 1,000,000 miles :)

I'm at 180k+ with all original timing chains. My wife refuses to trade. Fingers are crossed!!!

Any noises ?
180 is great, I heard of some going well past 200
I guess it all comes to maintenance and quality of parts used, and the day of the week for the engine assembly .

There's a definite tick, but I do change the oil every 5k and use Ford oil. It's a shame really, because mine has been garage kept, there's virtually no rust underneath. But changing the timing chains is a couple grand.

There's a definite tick, but I do change the oil every 5k and use Ford oil. It's a shame really, because mine has been garage kept, there's virtually no rust underneath. But changing the timing chains is a couple grand.
That tick can be the valves. My 97 with 210 on the clock had no rattle and you could tell clicking was in the upper valves. Many noises sound concerning but aren’t a bad thing.

Mine died at 224,000 miles with no trouble with timing chains.

4.6 V8 timing chains are cake, it's the 4.0 that gets costly. Even then if you go buy a 70k vehicle and if you put a chunk of money down your going to be over $500 a month payment. Spend 2k on timing chains and if you only get another year out the truck your still ahead.

4.6 V8 timing chains are cake, it's the 4.0 that gets costly. Even then if you go buy a 70k vehicle and if you put a chunk of money down your going to be over $500 a month payment. Spend 2k on timing chains and if you only get another year out the truck your still ahead.
Depending on mileage and condition I’d just slap a remanufactured in it.

Depending on mileage and condition I’d just slap a remanufactured in it.

That's $3,500. And, as soon as you put in an engine, you'll have to do the tranny. There's another $1,000. That's 9 months of car payments!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's $3,500. And, as soon as you put in an engine, you'll have to do the tranny. There's another $1,000. That's 9 months of car payments!

It's all about luck of the draw with the trans. My wife's 04 explorer 4.0 had water in the oil at 102k. I swapped in an 07 motor with super low miles and we've put another 70k on it in the 5 years since without an issue. Well...... other than just having a CEL the other day for the egr but it was the original so I can't argue.

Back