and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

filling up transmission fluid on 2002 explorer

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by fredflypogger, October 7, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fredflypogger

fredflypogger New Member

City, State:
      belvider,nj
      Year and Model:
      2002 explorer xlt
      hi
      just bought a used 2002 explorer xlt with 62 k miles 4.0 liter motor.
      i bought a new pan gasket and transmission filter. i was all ready to change the fluid but i could not figure out how to to refill the transmission with fluid. owners manual says there is no dipstick. all i see is a small filler plug about halfway up the tranny on the drivers side.
      i called 3 ford dealers and 2 said to fill it up at this filler plug, another dealer said to fill it up at the drain plug. he said to turn the truck on and put the tranny fluid bottle in the drain hole. he said the tranny will suck it up and it will drip out when filled. that sounded crazy to me.
      can any one tell what the correct procedure is? what size pump would i use to fill it up with?
      thanks a lot
      todd

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      Not sure I have the exact answer but this thread might be a start...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

also as I check into this further.... (this is the 5R55W trannie... a very interesting creature not yet explored on this forum - YET) the top hole is the "plant" fill hole. The manual apparently wants you to use the bottom hole... even for a total refill after a rebuild... definitely want a pump for that. Curious what they were thinking about this, and why only the factory gets the top hole.

Last edited: October 10, 2004
    4. mirro

mirro New Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year and Model:
      2003 XLT
      I Was Told Thet You Shouldent Touch The Trainni For 150 K. It Is Seald.

I Am Afraid That This Will Give Us A Lot Of Headaches In The Future