and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Flat tow with drive shaft in.

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by austin bronco11, May 31, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. austin bronco11

austin bronco11 New Member

City, State:
      Austin Texas
      Year and Model:
      1985 eb bronco11
      I got a 1985 Bronco 11 that I want to use at the deer lease about 200 miles away from my house .it has the 2.8 v6 and auto matic trans .do not want to pull the drive shaft every time .Can I flat tow with every thing in neutral .

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Do you have 4wd or 2wd? Most Bronco II's are 4wd, but they did make a 2wd version.

If you have 4wd, I believe that you can shift the transfer case to N and flat tow with no other issues. If you still have the owners manual, it should tell you if you can.

If you have 2wd, you are going to need to disconnect the driveshaft. Remco makes a device that you can install so that you can disconnect by remote cable. If you install the remote cable, you just disconnect by moving a lever from inside the truck.

http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. GreenMando

GreenMando Active Member

City, State:
      Columbia, CA
      Year and Model:
      '08 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 V8
      I have seen trucks with locking hubs on the rear for towing.

6. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      Year and Model:
      '93 and '91 explorer
      the trans should never be spinning without the engine running. if things are correct, it should be in PARK when towing. the transfer case should be in neutral IF capable.. keep in mind that some transfer cases will not self-oil with only the rear output shaft turning (they require trans-side rotation to oil. although some will oil with front-shaft rotation too) of course, if it's an electronic t-case, you're screwed.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Actually, the Gen 2 Control Trac can be converted to have a selectable N for towing although it isn't equipped that way from the factory. I'm debating with myself whether to pay the money to have my Sport converted (the dealer has to reflash the GEM, so it isn't a DIY type of thing), or to sell it and get something that will be lighter and easier to tow.

8. gyoungbmw

gyoungbmw New Member

City, State:
      Chambersburg, PA
      Year and Model:
      2008 Sport Trac Ltd
      Towing behind your RV

The Ford part is all of $27-, which electronically makes sure that the transfer case is in neutral, to allow you to tow your Explorer behind your RV-----but only the 4X4 version.

9. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Keep in mind we're talking about a BII, not a late-model Explorer... That makes a difference.

IIRC, there was a neutral tow kit available back in the day for the BII, but the odds of finding one today (if it ever existed) are somewhere between 'not good' and 'no way'. If you have the automatic trans with the electronic shift, you will need the neutral tow kit (or disconnect the driveshaft). There is no other way short of a trailer.

Now, if you have either a manual trans or a manual transfer case (which were both available in a BII), you can place either of them in neutral and flat-tow it without an issue. The t-case is lubed by the rear shaft, and the manual transmission is splash-lubed and will be fine.

Good luck!