1. to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

fly weel screws wrench and torque question?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by balston, November 29, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. balston

balston New Member

Year and Model:
      ford explorer
      Hi guys i need to know which wrench type and size i need to remove the flyweel on my ford explorer 2003 4L xls...Also i need to know about how manyt torque does the bolts need.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      This is what the Haynes Manual says for the V-6 enigine on torque for the Flywheel/Driveplate. This is the way it is written in the Haynes manual:

Flywheel bolts:
      Step 1: 120 inch lbs
      Step 2: 52 ft lbs

Driveplate Bolts:
      Step 1: 115 inch lbs
      Step 2: 37 ft Lbs
      Step 3: Tighten an additional 90 degrees

If you aren't sure about what you are doing down there, I would suggest you get a Haynes manual for your vehicle (around $25), because there appears to be a Flywheel bolt tightening sequence you need to follow and you need to make markings on the flywheel/driveplate and crankshaft, to ensure proper alignment during reinstallation. Can't help you on the wrench part of your question. Good luck! BTW, my Haynes Manual states it is for 2002-2010 Explorers or Mountaineers, the manual doesn't specify if it for "Explorer Sports" like yours and I do not know if the specs I gave you from it are the same for your vehicle. You might want to check into that before you do anything.

4. balston

balston New Member

Year and Model:
      ford explorer
      Thank you for your help i will check on a manual ...