• Register Today It's free!

FM146 Tran's in '91 Explorer

djmillett

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
I did some checking but didn't find what I was looking for.

I bought a '91 Explorer that was converted to manual with the Mitsubishi FM146 transmission. The previous owner had put a new starter in it which shortly after getting the explorer stopped working. In doing some checking I discovered the flywheel was chewed up.

I picked up a flyweel from the junkyard for a '91 manual Explorer and discovered when I went to buy the new cluch that although it looked to be the same size was different than the flywheel in the explorer.

To make a long story short, I now have a '91 manual flywheel and cluch with a FM146 transmission and I'm trying to find out if this setup will even work and if so what starter works with it?

when the ring gear on my flywheel got chewed up i bought a new gear from Ford. i hammered off the old gear then i put the flywheel in the deep freeze overnight. in the morning i warmed up the ring gear in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes.
i put lock-tite around the flywheel and used welding gloves to handle the ring gear. i set right in place without any persuasion with a waiting hammer. within 2 minutes it had cooled enough that there was no way no how it was coming off. that was 6 years ago and it is still running fine.

I already have a new flywheel. My question is will the flywheel and starter for a stock manual which is the Mazda transmission work or do I need to use the flywheel for the Ranger the Mitsubishi transmission came from.

I didn't realize the transmission in my '91 explorer was not the stock tranny and I bought and installed what would be the stock flywheel and cluch. When I installed the starter it started but the starter would not disengage.

Will the stock starter for a '91 Explorer work with the stock flywheel mounted on the FM146 tranny or do I need to use the Ranger starter and fywheel that the FM146 tanny came from?

Back