Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

After some exploration, I’ve figured out how to modify the foglamp circuit for a 2001 Explorer so that the foglamps stay on with the high beams. This mod is actually much easier, IMHO, than for the earlier models.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

On my Explorer, socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

The whole procedure took about 20 minutes to actually do, but would have been 5 minutes or so shorter, less the following: When wrestling with the airbox, (a) It came loose suddenly, (b) My head banged into the hood, (c) The drop light fell, breaking the bulb, and (d) I had to find a new bulb for the drop light.

This worked on my 2001. I suspect it will work on any 1999 to 2001 Explorer where the foglamps already come on with the parking lights, and it may be useful for the 2002s and later.

BTW, the wiring to the fog lamps is badly undersized and the pins on the bulbs are badly undersized also. My bulbs are the, I think, 9145s, that have an H-1 bulb grafted onto an adapter. No way I'm going to go over wattage with this dinky wiring.

--
FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finished the modification this afternoon so here are the pictures. First the relay box with the top off and relay spot 1 empty.
headlight_relays.jpg

Here is the stuff that you will need to make the jumper.
stuff_required.jpg

And finally here is the jumper installed.
jumper_installed.jpg

A better way to do this would be to "find" an old relay someplace and then just cut off the two small outside blades. That would take away the power from the relay so it wouldn't energize to turn off the fog lights and would still look like a stock setup. I may have to look for a relay the next time I'm at the junkyard. ;)

So, does making this jumper require soldering wire? I really hope not because I am NOT good at it...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

This worked like a charm on my 99 Explorer XLT! Thank you!

No, just use wire crimp connectors, like these:
DSCF1224.JPG

You might take the relay into the store to match up the right size.

Sweet. Thanks! :salute:

Purchasing the following parts today:
- 3" 16 ga. wire (Radio Shack)
- Wide male spade connector (Radio Shack)
- Narrow male spade connector (Radio Shack; #64-3134)

great info, ive got the day off and got some stuff i need to do to my 01 today. this just made the list. thanks

alright just tried this and it doesnt work. i cut the pronge off the relay and nothing changed, i made a jumper and nothign changed. ive got an 01 sport, its a canadian truck and i dont have drl's if that makes a difference. any other ideas?

Concerning some Sports and SportTracs (and maybe others I don't know about), I just performed this mod to my '01 SportTrac, like some of you I found only 1 relay in the relay box located near the intake system. No its not a magic relay that controls all headlight functions.

If you found only 1 relay in your relay box here may be your solution.

Find your external fuse compartment (under the hood):
PICT1139-1.jpg

There are 2 sets of small relays fallowed by a large relay fallowed by another set of small relays. (I have my jumper in the third set):
PICT1154.jpg

The relay on the inside (seen here on the left) of the truck is the Fog Lamp Relay, the one on the outside (seen here on the right) of the truck is the Fog Lamp Isolation Relay (where I have my jumper). The slots to jump are the same as the original post.
PICT1170-2.jpg

And booyah, the fog lamps stay on with both low beams and high beams. Hope this helps. :)

im gonna give your idea a shot. my 01 sport, i removed both the relays, 2 and 3 and the fog light operation didnt change.

Do you have a relay under the air cleaner box?

ok i just went outside. the location in the picture in my last post where the jumper is, theres no relay in there for me and there are holes for a relay but fom the way it feels theres nothign inside the holes. i put the relay there and it just popped down, no resistence or anything. i went ahead and changed evry small relay i had withthe one that i modified and nothing changed. i think if i cant sort this out then tomorrows project is direct power fom the radio to the fog lights through the switch, lol.

here are some shots of what my panels look like.

DSC03265.jpg

DSC03266.jpg

great news. i did some back reading through these pages and on my fuse panel under the air filter i had to modify relay number 5. so if you look at the picture i posted of the fuse panels itll be the one at the top right hand corner. fog lights work high and low beams now. excellent. thanks for the good work everyone. i might take a nap jut to help the night time get here faster, haha

well it finally turned to night and i found some black roads to drive down. what a big difference this makes. usually im driving withthe light switch pulled back so i have both highs and los on but now i put on the highs and its like daylight. big difference. and i just heard that the local parts source by me is having a special on silverstar bulbs, buy one get one half price. so yeah, im buying some tomorrow :D

now just to figure out how the hell the damn headlights come out, lol

so in the 6 plus years that this post has been running, has anyone ever come across the relay box under the air cleaner with all 6 spots filled? i did the jump on the #2 relay and it works but i put it back to stock for now. want to make sure that this doesn't blow up in my face because all 6 relays are plugged in.

any ideas?

I just used the spade connetor clip method on my 99 Eddie and it worked great. I purchased this car new, it was my third new X and I have loved each of them. Thanks for fixing a long time concern about these lights.

I went out to do this mod but there is no relay for the fog lamp isolation. I looked inside the socket and there are no terminials just empty holes. I had the jumper already made and ready to do this but now I am at a loss. My fog lights still turn off with the high beams but earlier in this thread they said that the isolation relay does this. any ideas?

If you did this on the '98, it won't work.

Should be good on your '02.

Ok I was all set to do this on my '02 but there is no spade connector for pin 4 in my fuse box. Same relay though.
Hum..............

Does anyone have a pic to help me out as well??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a pic to help me out as well??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Read the thread from the start. Lots of photos. This mod is super easy. Even I figured it out on my '99 and I'm clueless when it comes to things like this. Should work the same on your '01 which is almost identical in most respects to the '99.

I just cut the unnecessary spades off of the relay. Works great!

I just cut the unnecessary spades off of the relay. Works great!

That's how I did it too. Effortless, and been working well for years since then.

Back