Foldable Cargo Liner for Cargo Area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foldable Cargo Liner for Cargo Area

AFKNinja

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I'm looking for some kind of cargo liner (for when the third row is stored) which can also be folded away and stored if I want to use the third row temporarily. I do not want a conventional hard plastic cargo liner, because to my understanding they cannot be folded and stored in the trunk if I want to put up the third row in a pinch.
Anyone have any experience with this or know of a product which would suit my needs? Thanks!

to the mods - please don't delete my post again; the thread which it was re-directed to last time did not answer my question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I roll up my Weathertech mat just fine.

Thanks, it seems like I've been the wrong impression about the construction of most mats
The 3 cargo mats (Husky and OEM) I've ordered for my last 3 vehicles have always come rolled up in a shipping box. I believe the actual issue is if it will fit in the rear well with the 3rd row seats up and not the ability to fold/roll it up.

Peter

For reference these pictures show how the OEM Ford mat fits as a cargo mat and then rolled/folded in the 3rd row well. It could be pushed further forward under the 3rd row seats if required.

EDIT: Photos were no longer available and notifications to that affect were deleted with posters permission.
Peter

Thanks for that. Honestly I never thought about folding it after rolling it up. Funny sometimes how your mind can get stuck on envisioning only one certain thing.:)

Peter

Aye, the older I get the worse that becomes... :)

Oldman_zps4c931674.jpg

About to pick up my 2017 XLT this week, and I'm wondering if others have looked into this more. I ordered Husky liners for the 1st and 2nd rows but held off on the 3rd for now.

I wasn't sure if the 3rd row liner stayed in place well if that row was folded down, and I expect to have it folded most of the time. I'd like to have a cargo mat to cover the entire area behind the 2nd row, but I want to be able to roll/fold it up and leave it behind the 3rd row when I do need to use it. While I like Husky products with the lip around the edge to keep liquids in, I'm worried that the construction of liners like that won't allow it to roll up or fold well in these situations.

About to pick up my 2017 XLT this week, and I'm wondering if others have looked into this more. I ordered Husky liners for the 1st and 2nd rows but held off on the 3rd for now.

I wasn't sure if the 3rd row liner stayed in place well if that row was folded down, and I expect to have it folded most of the time. I'd like to have a cargo mat to cover the entire area behind the 2nd row, but I want to be able to roll/fold it up and leave it behind the 3rd row when I do need to use it. While I like Husky products with the lip around the edge to keep liquids in, I'm worried that the construction of liners like that won't allow it to roll up or fold well in these situations.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have the OEM Explorer cargo mat and just tried rolling and folding it and placed behind the 3rd row seats. Although I didn't try it, the folded mat could be pushed further under the seats.

Peter

Folded mat.JPG

Cargo Mat.JPG

So I decided to go with the 3D MAXpider liner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH8QQ24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It isn't your standard plastic/rubber liner, but it is essentially the same kind of material ("thermoplastic rubber with a carbon fiber embossed pattern"). It definitely doesn't feel like anything will slide around on it. The bottom essentially acts like velcro, but not as crazy as velcro (it won't move on its own, but you can still pick it up to adjust it when needed fairly easily).

The huge plus for this one is that it does fold down to a third of its size which will make it easy to put behind the third row (could even probably fold it in half after folding it into a third too). The only downside is that the outer edge isn't raised where the two folds are. I don't really anticipate having a major spill though, so anything that could spill would likely be contained within the area it was sitting in. It's also apparently great at reducing road noise. They make floor liners too, but I opted for a normal liner for those (Husky X-act contour).

The part sitting against the 2nd row is slightly raised on the right since I have the right seat all the way back. I also may cut out the areas for the 3rd row seatbelts so that the edges will lay completely flat (barely raised at the moment). You can see what it looks like with them cut out on the Amazon posting.

27ccKak.jpg

x7NFFHH.jpg

iKPKcEz.jpg

So I decided to go with the 3D MAXpider liner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH8QQ24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It isn't your standard plastic/rubber liner, but it is essentially the same kind of material ("thermoplastic rubber with a carbon fiber embossed pattern"). It definitely doesn't feel like anything will slide around on it. The bottom essentially acts like velcro, but not as crazy as velcro (it won't move on its own, but you can still pick it up to adjust it when needed fairly easily).

The huge plus for this one is that it does fold down to a third of its size which will make it easy to put behind the third row (could even probably fold it in half after folding it into a third too). The only downside is that the outer edge isn't raised where the two folds are. I don't really anticipate having a major spill though, so anything that could spill would likely be contained within the area it was sitting in. It's also apparently great at reducing road noise. They make floor liners too, but I opted for a normal liner for those (Husky X-act contour).

The part sitting against the 2nd row is slightly raised on the right since I have the right seat all the way back. I also may cut out the areas for the 3rd row seatbelts so that the edges will lay completely flat (barely raised at the moment). You can see what it looks like with them cut out on the Amazon posting.

27ccKak.jpg

x7NFFHH.jpg

iKPKcEz.jpg
Wanted to post a follow-up about this liner. Had to use the 3rd row at lunch recently, and it was really easy to just fold this up quickly and stow it behind the 3rd row. Since it's pretty flexible, I was even able to push it down into the cargo area. It's actually kind of hard to tell that it's even in the picture.

zOh53bH.jpg

recently purchased a set (6 pieces) CanvasBack cargo mat. They are pricy but I couldn't be happier, retains 100% functionality with no effort on storing / opening 3rd row seats

I know pictures are worth a 1000 words so I will get some up tomorrow.

Back