For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime?

think about it like this. your doing 25, the car coming at you is doing 25, and you hit head on. pretty much the same as hitting a stationary wall doing 50 and your going through the windshield.. just put the seat belt on.

Somebody didn't read the whole thread...:p:

@fedyfedz: Scary stuff, glad to see your still here though!

Just to reiterate, I didn't discuss the brick wall vs head on ordeal to discount the severity of a lower speed crash. I completely agree that you should ALWAYS wear your seatbelt because even low speed crashes can be very dangerous. I simply wanted to point out a common misconception.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm with the other safety conscious guys here who value their lives. ALWAYS buckle up. Not buckling is a bad habit, one that has huge risks. Is it really that much of an inconvenience that the risk to your life is outweighed by the minor hassle of fastening a seatbelt?

yeh i think the thread got a little off topic.

I have to say that I find it hard to not buckle my belt now. After so many years of putting it on before going anywhere, if I do happen to get in a hurry and forget, I feel like I am getting thrown around the car just by my driving. And, NO, I don't drive like a maniac, I actually get accused of driving like a grandpa. My philosophy is that if I am running late, it is my own damn fault. So next time I should leave earlier, not drive 20mph over the speed limit, to get there on time.

unfortunately i totateld my last truck doing about 7-8 mph and hit ice and sped up to 15mph i hit 2 trees and i didnt have my seatbelt on...im lucky to survive i had 2 other people in the car and the person sitting in the back seat in the middle ended up in the front seat, I was knocked unconscious for 10 min. just look at the truck.....had no collison either

this is what 10-15 mph and some trees do
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

I've had something similar happen to me a year ago, i went out to lunch in my car from high school, also an explorer, ended up getting t-boned. since we were in a school zone the speed limit is 20mph and when i was hit only going maybe 5 i ended up rolling and lived because of the seatbelt. So please don't base ur decision on the idea that its only a few hundred feet and at low speeds

it is one thing to disable the chime, but you should always wear a seatbelt.

we just lost a very valuable member who did not have a seat belt on. would he still be here it he did? we will never know.

my seat belt comes right across my neck when I put it on. I really never want to wear it. but I do and I put it under my arm pit so I can drive

it is one thing to disable the chime, but you should always wear a seatbelt.

we just lost a very valuable member who did not have a seat belt on. would he still be here it he did? we will never know.

my seat belt comes right across my neck when I put it on. I really never want to wear it. but I do and I put it under my arm pit so I can drive

Are 2nd gens seatbelts not adjustable like 3rd gens? Or you must be really short:D

Not to mention that most car accident's occur close to home.

The 2nd gen belts are adjustable...

its boggling what people do to not hear the chime, i see all stuffs, in the belt buckles, and other things to stop the chime.

what is actually interesting is the lengths people goto. but they never stop and think about around them, people dont respect cars, with that they all think they are great drivers, but while you can be a good driver, great or terrible, it still cant protect you from someone else, who is. arguing with there significant other on the phone, reading the news paper, fell asleep had a heart attack, is 90 years old behind the wheel. etc.....
or that person that was in a bar for 5 hrs drinking over a sporting event driving home the 5 minute commute........

I'm short! about 5'8" I guess

but mine is not adjustable or it is already as low as it gets.

side note: mine doesn't chime when the seatbelt is not on. just the light on the dash board

Yeah- the Gen II doesn't chime... She's old school! :D

so I never got the generation thing down yet.

what is gen II 96, 97, 98 ??

do all three years not chime like the gen I's ?

so I never got the generation thing down yet.

what is gen II 96, 97, 98 ??

First generation (1991–1994)
Second generation (1995–2001)
Third generation (2002–2005)
Fourth generation (2006–2010)
Fifth generation (2011–)

So this probably wouldn't a good time to tell everyone one of my favorite spring/summer activities is going out on some nice winding back roads and doing 100+ on a GSXR (bike) wearing shorts, t-shirt and no helmet? I'm in my mid 30's, I gotta do something to feel alive. Life is almost over! ;)

That said I can respect everyone's opinion but I rarely do NOT wear a seat belt. I normally do put it on but I'm literally talking to the corner store which I can walk to on a road that is a residential area with no traffic.

Thank you for the guide btw! :)

So this probably wouldn't a good time to tell everyone one of my favorite spring/summer activities is going out on some nice winding back roads and doing 100+ on a GSXR (bike) wearing shorts, t-shirt and no helmet? I'm in my mid 30's, I gotta do something to feel alive. Life is almost over! ;)

That said I can respect everyone's opinion but I rarely do NOT wear a seat belt. I normally do put it on but I'm literally talking to the corner store which I can walk to on a road that is a residential area with no traffic.

Thank you for the guide btw! :)

carpe diem, you only live once....although i think i would wear a helmet going that fast on a bike lol but to each his own...

If you stack it at 100+ I doubt a helmet would do anything except prolong the agony. No skid lid on a bike is one of the best feeling's in the world. Down here the the government made it illegal not to wear a helmet a few years ago. Not to save lives but because they were sick of forking out millions of dollars to provide hospital care for a vegetable. I'm lucky to get 65mph out of my old shovel head, yes I wear a helmet. But it would be nice to have a choice.

I know this is an old thread but thanks for the tip. I do wear my seatbelt but think I have a good reason for the alarm to be shut off. The wife and I were scouting campsites this past weekend for next summer. I would drive no more than 5mph and stop frequently to get out and check for stumps, roots, etc as we tent camp and like to find the best spots. Everytime the vehicle went back into drive the alarm would go off. The first thing I am going to do tonight is disable the thing. Thanks! To the OP I'm with you, sometimes it's just inconvenient...

It's real simple to shut that aggrevating chime to the off position, and it's free from a Ford Stealership. Yep, FREE!!!! Just go to your local yokel Ford stealership and ask for the FREE Seatbelt extenders. Clip it into the "Receiver side of the original belt and Do Not Clip the original shoulder portion and NO Dingie Dingie. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EDIT:: DAMN I'M A TARD! I didn't notice this thread was over a year old!

Hehe, anyway I admit I don't always wear my seat belt but that damn chime is making me want to! I'm sure that is it's purpose but hey! :D

You should pay attention to what the chime wants!

However if I drive from my house to the corner to get milk which is like 1000 yards and a 25 zone, I'm not too worried about a high speed crash.

It would be faster to walk! Bonus, your sneakers don't have a chime

You do realize that two cars that collide going 25 mph in the opposite direction is like hitting a wall doing 50 mph? I have been a career firefighter for 28 years now and have never had to unbuckle the seat belt of a dead person. Think about!

think about it like this. your doing 25, the car coming at you is doing 25, and you hit head on. pretty much the same as hitting a stationary wall doing 50 and your going through the windshield.. just put the seat belt on.

No. Newton's Third Law. Although the two-car crash doubles the speed of the impact, the energy the crash is transferred to twice the mass resulting in a crash that looks like just one car hitting a wall at 25 mph.

Not to mention that most car accident's occur close to home.

You know what is misleading about that statistic? Most driving happens close to home too. Still, no reason to ignore the fact that you can get in an accident driving down your home street just as well as driving somewhere else.

Back