and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Solved Ford 4R55E Transmission removal & installation instructions.

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by nozzleram, January 28, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. nozzleram

nozzleram New Member

City, State:
      North Central Indiana
      Year and Model:
      92 Sport
      Removal of 4R55E

Similar to a4ld minus some electronic connectors
      4x4

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
      2.Remove two bolts retaining the fan shroud to the radiator. Remove the transmission fluid level indicator.
      3.Raise the vehicle and position suitable safety stands.
      4.Remove four skid plate bolts and the skid plate.
      5.Mark the relationship of the driveshaft centering flanges, rear axle companion flange, and transfer case flange so the driveshaft can be installed in the original position.
      6.Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange to the rear axle companion flange. Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange at the transfer case flange. Remove the rear driveshaft.
      7.Mark the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and U-joint flange. Remove four bolts retaining the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and at the U-joint flange. Remove the front driveshaft.
      8.Remove the bolts and nuts from the catalytic converter outlet and muffler inlet. Using mechanics wire, secure the muffler and tailpipe assembly to the vehicle. Remove three nuts from the crossover-to-converter inlet and disconnect the HO2S connector. Disconnect the converter from the hanger and remove it from the vehicle.
      9.Disconnect the shift cable from the lever and bracket. Position the cable aside. Disconnect two rear HO2S connectors and the locator.
      10.Remove four bolts from the crossover pipe and remove the crossover.
      11.Position a drain pan. Disconnect the heat shield from the transmission pan. Remove the transmission pan bolts and drain the transmission. Position the transmission pan and install the bolts, using the original gasket. Connect the heat shield to the pan and remove the drain pan.
      12.Remove the ground wire nut at the starter motor and position the wire aside. Remove the starter stud and bolt. Position the starter aside.
      13.NOTE: Flexplate-to-converter nuts are not reusable.
      Mark the relationship of a converter stud to the flexplate. Rotate the torque converter and remove four flexplate-to-converter nuts. Discard the nuts.
      14.Remove one upper right bell housing bolt and the fluid level indicator tube.
      15.Disconnect the transmission cooler lines and install protective caps on the lines.
      16.Disconnect the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor connector. Remove the nut and the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor. Disconnect the transfer case vent tube hose and the shift motor connector.
      17.Position a jack stand to support the engine.
      18.Position a transmission jack, raise it to the transmission, and secure it with a safety chain.
      19.Remove the left and right crossmember bolts and nuts. Remove the transmission mount nuts. Remove the crossmember and slightly lower the transmission.
      20.Disconnect both transmission 16-pin connectors at the rear of the left and right cylinder heads. Remove the transmission-to-engine bolts.
      21.CAUTION:The torque converter must separate from the flexplate and remain seated in the transmission. The transmission must not tip forward, as the torque converter could fall out while lowering the transmission.
      Separate the transmission from the engine and carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator: June 3, 2013
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      Sure! First thing we need to know is 5 speed or automatic?
      I assume automatic because well one's dead.

Do you have the Hayes or Chiltons repair manual?
      Great place to start.
      Do you have tools?

4. nozzleram

nozzleram New Member

City, State:
      North Central Indiana
      Year and Model:
      92 Sport
      Sorry, it's an Auto. I've got tools and some basic know how but I'm no mechanic. I'm heading out right now to pick up the Eddie Bauer that I'll be putting the good tranny into.

5. Heavymentill

Heavymentill Active Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      96 Explorer Limited
      Removal of 4R55E

Similar to a4ld minus some electronic connectors
      4x4

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
      2.Remove two bolts retaining the fan shroud to the radiator. Remove the transmission fluid level indicator.
      3.Raise the vehicle and position suitable safety stands.
      4.Remove four skid plate bolts and the skid plate.
      5.Mark the relationship of the driveshaft centering flanges, rear axle companion flange, and transfer case flange so the driveshaft can be installed in the original position.
      6.Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange to the rear axle companion flange. Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange at the transfer case flange. Remove the rear driveshaft.
      7.Mark the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and U-joint flange. Remove four bolts retaining the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and at the U-joint flange. Remove the front driveshaft.
      8.Remove the bolts and nuts from the catalytic converter outlet and muffler inlet. Using mechanics wire, secure the muffler and tailpipe assembly to the vehicle. Remove three nuts from the crossover-to-converter inlet and discoonect the HO2S connector. Disconnect the converter from the hanger and remove it from the vehicle.
      9.Disconnect the shift cable from the lever and bracket. Position the cable aside. Disconnect two rear HO2S connectors and the locator.
      10.Remove four bolts from the crossover pipe and remove the crossover.
      11.Position a drain pan. Disconnect the heat shield from the transmission pan. Remove the transmission pan bolts and drain the transmission. Position the transmission pan and install the bolts, using the original gasket. Connect the heat shield to the pan and remove the drain pan.
      12.Remove the ground wire nut at the starter motor and position the wire aside. Remove the starter stud and bolt. Position the starter aside.
      13.NOTE: Flexplate-to-converter nuts are not reusable.
      Mark the relationship of a converter stud to the flexplate. Rotate the torque converter and remove four flexplate-to-converter nuts. Discard the nuts.
      14.Remove one upper right bell housing bolt and the fluid level indicator tube.
      15.Disconnect the transmission cooler lines and install protective caps on the lines.
      16.Disconnect the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor connector. Remove the nut and the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor. Disconnect the transer case vent tube hose and the shift motor connector.
      17.Position a jack stand to support the engine.
      18.Position a transmission jack, raise it to the transmission, and secure it with a safety chain.
      19.Remove the left and right crossmember bolts and nuts. Remove the transmission mount nuts. Remove the crossmember and slightly lower the transmission.
      20.Disconnect both transmission 16-pin connectors at the rear of the left and right cylinder heads. Remove the transmission-to-engine bolts.
      21.CAUTION:The torque converter must separate fromt he flexplate and remain seated in the transmission. The transmission must not tip forward, as the torque converter could fall out while lowering the transmission.
      Separate the transmission from the engine and carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle.

6. Lefy

Lefy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Westchester, NY
      Year and Model:
      98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
      real good list thanks

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Thanks for printing this list of instructions! People constantly ask how to remove & install transmissions. I've renamed, and moved this thread to the transmission section. I'll make it a sticky thread for a while, but it should have a step by step procedure with pictures for people that have a hard time visualizing written text when they have never done this before.

8. screwd_newfie

screwd_newfie New Member

City, State:
      edmonton,ab
      Year and Model:
      91 xlt explorer
      that helps me out to lol.i got my tranny most of the way back in but it wont go that kast little click,im ready to burn the dam thing. a weekend job turns into a 2 week job and it being my daily driver doesnt help.but thanks for posting that thread.

9. nitro71

nitro71 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Spokane WA
      Factory repair manual! Chilton and Hanynes are good for starting fires..

10. paWOLFck

paWOLFck Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
      Haha. Yea got to get that digital Ford Shop Service manual.

I have a quick question though. I am doing the Timing Chain repair and we almost have the engine out just have to finish disconnecting the tranny. What is the best way to get to the top two Transmission to Engine bolts?

Thanks.

11. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    12. paWOLFck

paWOLFck Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
      K. I'll give it a try. My brother was trying to get them while I was at football so we'll see what we can do tomorrow.

Thanks.

Edit: Would it just be easier to pull the transmission and engine out together? It's an automatic by the way.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
    13. paWOLFck

paWOLFck Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
      Wow. Didn't mean to make new post. Sorry.

14. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      This will be hard to do without a lift, and a special engine crane. You might need a gantry crane since it will be heavy. I once broke an engine crane lifting a 3.0L without the transmission connected to it.

15. paWOLFck

paWOLFck Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
      I want to leave it in. We are using a 2 ton Engine Hoist to lift it.

... How did you break a hoist with just the 3.0L being hoisted?

16. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      I was jacking it up, and the piston was struggling, then the piston broke. I bought another piston, and tried again, then it was still struggling until the boom, and another part started to bend. I had a machine shop put the boom into a hydraulic press to straighten it out, but I was still having problems. I ended up lifting the body to remove the engine, and transmission. I was able to move the engine & transmission myself so I can't understand why this tool didn't work. Another strange thing. It was my old 89 Mercury Sable. Since it's a front wheel drive, the engine has to be supported with a special hanger. The hanger also got bent, and wasn't usable. It seems like they are making tools out of butter instead of steel.

17. Heavymentill

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      96 Explorer Limited
      In the past I have used a 3 foot extension with a U-joint. I have also used a combination wrench through the wheel wells with the wheels off. Also you will have no problem pulling the engine with a picker. Usually front wheel drive vehicles with inverse engines the engine needs to come out the under side.

18. paWOLFck

paWOLFck Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
      Yea. We were able to get to both of them at the top. I'm going to get a combination wrench tomorrow to get them loose though. Thanks for the Help.

19. salo

salo New Member

City, State:
      winnipeg, MB
      Year and Model:
      95 RANGER XL
      when i pull the tranny is it ok to remove the torque converter and drain it?

20. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    21. Mpetronek

Mpetronek New Member

City, State:
      Sandy, OR
      Year and Model:
      '91 4.0L XLT 5spd.
      yeah i agree with the burning instruction manuals...they cause more work than do good.

22. salo

salo New Member

City, State:
      winnipeg, MB
      Year and Model:
      95 RANGER XL
      im currently trying to remove the transmission on my 95 ranger 2.3
      all i have left to do is to remove the top two bolts which sound easy but ive spent almost a month on this already i removed the passanger side bolt by removing the air intake and using a 13mm wranch the other bolt is nearly impossible to get from the top because of the dipstick and that stupid exhaust recycaling tube then i tried to lower the tranny down so i could reach the bolt from the bottom using a long extension and no luck it kept slipping off, i tried a swivel socket too with no luck so i went and got these bolt out sockets where the 13mm one is too small for that bolt and a 14mm is too large.
      im out of ideas

23. N1265

N1265 Active Member

City, State:
      Fremont Oh
      Year and Model:
      '04 explorer
      Any idea how long it should take an average guy to pull a trans out of a '96 ?

Is there plenty of room to slide it out with car sitting on 4 stands ?

Thanks,

24. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    25. Heavymentill

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      96 Explorer Limited
      The labor time they give you for flat rate is 6.1 hrs. The only way your going to be able to do it in a few hours is if you use a lift, have all the proper tools, know what you are doing, and you run into no issues. If your going to be on your back and you've never done this before, I'd give yourself plenty of time and maybe get a helper. An A/O torch is your friend for getting the y-pipe off the exhaust manifolds. I've also never had a problem using jack stands.

26. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars