How to: - Ford 4R55E Transmission removal & installation instructions. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Ford 4R55E Transmission removal & installation instructions.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
why this step?
17.Position a jack stand to support the engine.
won't engine mounts hold it in place?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do not use a jack stand , Your motor ( Could ) Fall backwards and hit the firewall ..

falling motor

thanks for the reply! i checked the motor mounts and they looked good, so i went without the jack on it and motor didn't go anywhere...

Now the TQ is stuck in there? looks like its bolted to the flywheel. did alot of study on TQ and i am going to bring it in to get cut and cleaned, but I didn't see anyone that couldn't get it out?

Where is the tranny model number? i took the pan off, and the only numbers are P88GT-7A101-ACR, 88GT-ACR, and 35.5181.00? i thought it was supposed to be 4R55E, etc?
I have a 6 cylinder.

yea , thats a 5r55e. and by the way, remember that the torque converter plays a very important role. if ur car isnt moving foward at all even when u press the gax pedal then normally that would be the torque converter losing grip on the drive shaft.

got the torque converter out. didn't think i could access the bolts from the flexplate side, but sure was easy! new TQ is $180. wow, what a shocker. i guess alot of peeps use the old one but everyone says that is bad news when the tranny is blown. i saw one listing for a cut clean re-weld for $150, so i guess best to buy new...

got the torque converter out. didn't think i could access the bolts from the flexplate side, but sure was easy! new TQ is $180. wow, what a shocker. i guess alot of peeps use the old one but everyone says that is bad news when the tranny is blown. i saw one listing for a cut clean re-weld for $150, so i guess best to buy new...

Do not use the old TC if the old Trans took a Dump on you , New is the way to go and or if you buy a used trans , it must come with the TC , Otherwise you do not know the condition of the Bushing that the TC spins on ... :thumbsup: Good luck ! .

I need some help from u guys. I recently took down the transmission and changed the tq converter and the valve body. after installation the car wont turn over , no check engine light and no fuel pump noise . i can hear a relay click when i turn the key and i think that am not even getting any spark from the spark plugs. its a ford explorer 1996 XL .

94 2WD Sport Torque Converter Nuts

94 2WD Sport What size are Torque Converter nuts? I have tried 14mm and 9/16 neither seem to fit properly.

Whats the trick?

Thanks for help

94 2WD Sport What size are Torque Converter nuts? I have tried 14mm and 9/16 neither seem to fit properly.

Whats the trick?

Thanks for help

Pretty Sure there metric , As In maybe a 13Mm . Possibly .

well i got the tranny in but when i coudn't get it the last 2 inches, i used the famous, "force it in with the bolts" technique. The felx plate wouldn't turn, so the TQ is jammed into the tranny and won't turn or come out. how do i get the TQ out, and what is the damage?

well i got the tranny in but when i coudn't get it the last 2 inches, i used the famous, "force it in with the bolts" technique. The felx plate wouldn't turn, so the TQ is jammed into the tranny and won't turn or come out. how do i get the TQ out, and what is the damage?

Ouch not good ,, Was the Torque converter seated into the trans fully , you should rotate clockwise , then counter clockwise , then clockwise again while pushing the torque converter onto the splines and trying to keep the pressure off the bushing the TQ spins on and makes pressure .. Sounds Like you may have damaged the TQ , The bushing and possibly more or less .. Come back and let us know the Damage , I'm about 40 Miles South Of Atlanta And Will Help If I Can !!! ...

thanks for the offer. i have learned how to do it now, of course, after the fact! The trouble may have been that i couldn't get one bolt off the exhaust and we liked using the exhaust as a shelf anyway so we left it connected. i have dropped it now. i think the more likely cause was that the engine was tilted back so far that tranny had to be tilted too. i didn't have any more resources to support the engine level. i can get it now if given one more chance! i have a call in now to find out that if i do get the TQ off myself, does the tranny still need torn apart to fix the damage, or can it be fixed from the outside? the pump, shaft, and/or TQ are prob toast cause i torqued it down real good! ha...ha...its only money...

Well i got that sucker off! Loaner tool slide hammer from auto zone. They only had an axle puller attachment for it, so I used that and attached it to a metal strap jig I made, and bolted it to 2 TQ bolts. After about 30 slams it came off! I checked all the gears and they are perfect, so I get another chance…giggle!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do have a question. Most info says that the pump gets blown out when TQ is not seated and someone like me forces it on. After I torqued two bolts, something popped. The shaft didn’t pop in place because the TQ didn’t turn, so was the popping sound the pump blowing out?

Back