• Register Today It's free!

Ford Connect

Teledatageek

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Raptor SCAB
I finally spent some time in the last few days trying to figure out how to run a Vehicle Health Report (I like to see where my oil life is) on my '17 Explorer Sport as I was able to do in my '15 Explorer Sport.

After trying everything and not being able to figure it out, I reached out to my dealer. I spoke to their Sync expert who said without the modem that there is no more Vehicle Health Report. He said he heard they might be adding that feature back in with an update. I asked if it was possible to add the modem and get Sync Connect - he said he said it is possible but was unsure if you got all the features as if it was factory installed. He is doing some checking for me on this - but suggested it would be @$500 for the modem and then $60 a year for cellular data - he said Ford includes five years of connectivity with new vehicle purchase.

I find how Ford has rolled out Sync Connect to be a little baffling and quite confusing. I feel like I took a step backwards in capabilities although I really like Sync 3.

Ford Pass currently seems quite weak - the only thing I got it to do is put my fuel status on the app. However, after filling my tank having my phone connected and the app running - it never updated. Not that I consider this feature valuable, seems like it should work at the very leat.

Has anyone explored adding the model to their '17? I think if it had full functionality, it would be worth it.

Apologies if this has been covered - I didn't see any info in my searches

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Connect is not even an add-on for these vehicles, if it ever will be.

The best you can do is Ford Remote Access at $49/year, remote start and text theft alarm alerts via the app.

jrm061 would probably be the most knowledgeable on the subject.

I would guess you could look at the 17 Escape and see how its integrated into that models SYNC3 setup.

Other than VHR what features would it provide the owner?

4G LTE data for occupant devices like On*?

5G is right around the corner. Not that I use any of these 'G's'. Don't have a Smartphone.:)

Peter

I would have to say that this Ford Pass system for your smart phone is the most useless app as I've seen. Load app works for maybe a day, then get error code. Contact their service and told to uninstall app and reload. Still useless. Same problem, then you have to due a master reset on your Sync 3 system to get app to work again. Of course, then you have to reset all your options, reset radio stations and repair all your phones back in. All I can say is the system is useless, plus I purchased a 17 Explorer Platinum, which the only thing you can see anyway is your fuel, no remote start or anything. I sold a GM product when I purchased my new Explorer. All I can say is the GM remote link system is light years ahead of Ford pass, all options on your app at no cost for remote start, fuel ,tire pressure and such. Sorry, just venting a little about this useless Ford app, I'm done with it.

Back