Ford diagnostic software | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford diagnostic software

thorongil

Reaction score
Anyone is using / can recommend aftermarket PC based Ford diagnostic software? (I am new to Ford)

On my VW I am using a product called VCDS that allows me to connect my laptop to the car and do scans, resets, changes - pretty much whatever dealer can do with his expensive computer equipment.

I hope something like this is available for Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are multiple scan tools that can plug into the OBDII port that can then be plugged into a laptop to monitor and graph different engine standards.

But unless you are having a concern, what is the point?

There are multiple scan tools that can plug into the OBDII port that can then be plugged into a laptop to monitor and graph different engine standards.

But unless you are having a concern, what is the point?

I find it a very useful tool on my VW - if 'Service Engine Soon' comes out or any other indications seem funny - I just plug my laptop in, check error codes, check my Service Manual and/or internet forums and usually fix the problem myself. I was able to diagnose and fix a glow plug problem, glow plug harness problem, coolant temp problem - without visiting a mechanic, saving me hundreds of dollars in the process.

I find it a very useful tool on my VW - if 'Service Engine Soon' comes out or any other indications seem funny - I just plug my laptop in, check error codes, check my Service Manual and/or internet forums and usually fix the problem myself. I was able to diagnose and fix a glow plug problem, glow plug harness problem, coolant temp problem - without visiting a mechanic, saving me hundreds of dollars in the process.
Everybody wants to eat:)

I get all that, but for the next 36,000 plus miles, let Ford worry about it. I can assure you the tools and software that is available now will look old and antiquated in 3 years.

You can buy a scanner at autozone or another auto parts store to read codes when your CEL pops on.

But you can't mod the vehicle like you can with the VW/Audi's.. I used Vagcom with our audi and could change a lot of things (windows/moonroof to open close with the keyfob, allow fog lights to stay on when high beams are on etc). Nothing like that for the fords.

You can buy a scanner at autozone or another auto parts store to read codes when your CEL pops on.

But you can't mod the vehicle like you can with the VW/Audi's.. I used Vagcom with our audi and could change a lot of things (windows/moonroof to open close with the keyfob, allow fog lights to stay on when high beams are on etc). Nothing like that for the fords.

I am a happy VagCom user too, and was hoping to find something like that for a Ford. So far the most promising lead seems European Focom - except they won't support the Explorer until it sells in Europe I am sure. But in time it may be my best bet.

http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/focom

I miss my VagCom. Ex vw owner here. It was nice being able to unlock all the functions that come standard in europe, and are "locked" out in america. Like the windows up and down function from the remote, and other things.

Back