1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford Explorer 2004 - removing headliner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JLipicky, March 6, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. JLipicky

JLipicky New Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      Year and Model:
      2004 Explorer
      Hello Ford Explorer Enthusiasts!

I am new to this forum but have an immediate and pressing question. I have been told by the dealership that my sunroof assembly needs to be completely replaced because the glass will not shut and there's a problem with the rack. I am not willing to spend their estimate amount (or anything near it) because I want to get a new Explorer this Spring/Summer. However, I need the glass closed. Apparently, it can be done (according to a specialty shop) by taking down the headliner, unplugging the power source, and moving the glass forward manually.

My question is this....how does one take the headliner down without damaging it and then, where is the power source/motor for the glass located?

I hope someone out there can answer this for me. I have been Googling it without success so far.

Thanks,
      Josh :usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)