Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford explorer limited v8 in brazil

Discussion in 'International Explorers' started by Velocyraptor, July 5, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Velocyraptor

Velocyraptor New Member

City, State:
      Bahia State, Brazil
      Hi,

I´m from Brazil, and I intend to buy very soon a 2000 Explorer Limited V8. The vehicle is exact the same as the Explorer´s sold in US, and these cars were imported officially by Ford in BRAZIL.

I know some aspects about the car, and that Explorers had very high sells in US that time.

As i´m gonna purchase a car that has about 55,000 miles, My doubts are:

1) the V8 awd uses the 4r70w auto gearbox. Is this any specific concerns about this type of gearbox? I am going to change the fluid and filter as soon as I get the car, in a specific flushing machine, to get 100% oil change.

2) the transfer case requires high or expensive maintenance or I can be relaxed because the components are strong and durable?

3) the Limited models are full equiped witrh electronics, on board computers, etc...any reasons for extra carefull?

I know about the excelent tradition that Ford trucks and SUV have in US, but my goal is to avoid a problematic car, once I intend to have this Explo for long years.

My best regards for all,

G. Nüske

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! That's pretty low mileage for a 2000 Explorer. Don't power flush the transmission. You could add a quart while a quart is being drained. Replace the filter, and use the correct fluid. As far as the electronics, and transfer case, all new vehicles have computers, and sensors. The transfer case should last a while if it wasn't abused by its previous owner.

4. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      Welcome to the forum! The 5.0L with the 4R70W is one of the greatest Explorer drive train combos. Its durable, long lasting, and these are some of the best Explorers out there. I just bought a 5.0L that a friend of mine used to own, and they had no problems with it; my truck has 107k miles on it.
      The only thing you may run into, which seems to be common, is the torque converter may go out and need to be replaced.

5. JAMES209

JAMES209 Member

City, State:
      fort worth,tx
      2000 explorer 5.0L E B
      My EX 5.0L has 160,000 mi. and the T. fluid is a clear pink and no foul odor. I bought it at 156K from the prev. one owner said and he doesn't recall having it serviced. I've changed the motor oil 3 times since and asked the shop to pay close attn. to the tranny oil condition and change if he thought it needed it. He said to my surprise, "if it's clear/pink and smells good, don't bother, you may stir up a hornet's nest". Sounds like good advice since he stood to make some $. That's my 2 cents worth of advice. "Now go spend it wisely"