• Register Today It's free!

ford explorer make you think.

damnford

Reaction score
City, State
pine city washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer eddibouere
my friend has a 94 explorer not sure of the trim level iut has leather seats and electric seats with a 4.0 liter engine and automatic. it was running ok but idled rough and hadn't had a tune-up in a long time. my friend bought it used about a month ago and it had been sitting in the guy's yard for about 2 yrs we got it running and drove it home we did a tune up on it and now it wont start, no spark, there is power to the coil so i put a used coil in thinking that would solve the problem nope still no spark the only thing left is the crank sensor and the ign module and maybe the brain box. he has a parts car out back that ran for a few minutes then would die but thats another story. i know of the trick of grounding out the led test light and tapping the top wire on the module to make it spark but i don't have a led test light any more, i stepped on my old one can i use just a wire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spark is signaled by the crankshaft sensor on the left, lower side of the harmonic balancer as seen from the front. Injector timing is signaled by the camshaft sensor located back of the engine, 4 inches to the passenger side, under the intake.

put a used ecm and a used ign module and a used crank sensor from a running vehicle and still no spark so i pulled the relay for the ecm power and it has no power to the control that pulls the relay in. i switched the relay for the blower fan because it works thinking it was a bad relay still nothing. it cranks fine just no spark. the next thing i am going to try is a different ign switch. those two fusable links coming off the starter relay what do they go to? is one of them ign? and where do they hook up to?

You worked on it and now it won't start.

Double, Triple check your work.

i plan on it tomorrow it was getting harder to start every time he tried. now it wouldn't start after replacing plugs and wires so i checked power to the coils at run so we changed the coils still it will crank but not start no spark. so i figured the only thing left if fuses and a crank sensor and a ecm power relay fuses were good measured with an ohm meter swapped relay with the fan relay, still no spark, so i changed out the crank sensor still nothing. so i checked for power to the relay terminal 30 had power but the other power terminal (i think it is called the control terminal no. 85 or 86) does it get it's power from the ign switch or is there another fuse? and is there an anti-theft circuit to keep it from starting. it cranks just fine but no spark and i have checked all i can think off. help...

found out the ecm from the other explorer had a different no. on it and it was from a 93 so i put the original back on and it fired right up but wouldn't idle very well so i got the idle control solenoid off the other motor and swapped them, that smoothed it out a lot but it still had no power going forward i had a hard time getting it up on the ramps now it won't start again it just backfires through the air intake, it acts like it is out of time. could it be the cam sensor? how do i check it?

Back