• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer tire issue

Clemente rosario

Reaction score
City, State
Wandering river alberta canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer 4 door
Hi im just asking i have 2007 ford explorer the size of my tire is 245 65 17 but my friend he has a 245 70 17 if i can use it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of posts here about the maximum tire size on that Explorer. I think that's about an inch bigger but look through some older posts or do a search and your questions will be answered.

if your question was about using 1 tire the answer is not for a very long time.... the wheel triggers dont like even small changes because its a AWD setup..... my tires are 235/65/17 and my spare is the factory 245/65/17..... didnt have a very fun drive last time I had a flat

those 2 tires are exactly 1 inch difference

MC Fats, what do you mean by wheel triggers?
I'm planning to switch from 245/65/17's to 245/70/17's (all 4 corners) before this coming winter. It's about an inch taller, less than 4% bigger, so should have minimal effect on speedometer.

MC Fats, what do you mean by wheel triggers?
I'm planning to switch from 245/65/17's to 245/70/17's (all 4 corners) before this coming winter. It's about an inch taller, less than 4% bigger, so should have minimal effect on speedometer.
There is nothing wrong with changing all 4 tires to a larger size. The issue is when you have mismatched tire sizes. The TCS and AWD use the wheel speed ABS sensors to determine if it should lock the transfer case. When the tires are mismatched it will report different speeds at different wheel locations and perceive it as wheel slip. When it perceives wheel slip it starts to lock the transfer case continuously which will burn out the Torque on Demand clutches in the transfer case.

Thanks Chris! Good explanation. I didn't think i was heading for trouble, appreciate you confirming.
I always replace tires in pairs or fours. Sometimes a little fatter and, or, taller than stock, but always in pairs.

Back