Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford Flex shift knob install in Explorer

Discussion in 'Modified 2006 - 2010 Explorers' started by 06bluez, February 21, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 06bluez

06bluez Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      the black plastic center piece with the PRND indicator hits the lower chrome piece of the flex shifter in 1st..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 06bluez

06bluez Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      '10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      sorry!

I looked closer at your pictures, and it appears that you removed a section from the black trim piece to make it shorter.

good idea, I will try this.

4. ttbit

ttbit Active Member

City, State:
      Maryville,TN
      '01 ST 5.0 AWD & '07 ST8
      Great thread. Replaced mine this weekend with one on Ebay.

I found that you can leave some slack in the wiring and it will fit up in the shifter with no issues. I didn't want to fish that wiring, so I cut the old one near the shifter and then soldered the new one in place. I left enough slack to pull the shifter up further when connected.

You just need to make sure you have enough wire to get past the chrome cover so you can run it and solder it.

[​IMG]

5. MotorCityFats13

MotorCityFats13 Active Member

City, State:
      Flatrock MI
      2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      1st gear

would you be able to take a picture of this mod with the truck in 1st gear... if it does cause issues it would be nice to see what other mods can be made to fix this issue... Ill do this if it can be fixed with a little fiberglass work and post back some pics of my solution

I hate chrome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: July 20, 2015
    6. davidbaggett

davidbaggett New Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Texas
      '00 Ford Contour 2.5 V6
      OP, for some reason 2 of your pics aren't showing up (the ones where you are drilling the hole and modifying the wire). All i can see are the pics of the stock shifter & the pics of the end result. Thanks!

7. USMCBuckWild

USMCBuckWild Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      I just did this. AWESOME mod! Took about 2 hours altogether (spent some time cleaning and vacuuming out all the parts taken apart)

I plan on re-wiring my LED lightbar to the OD switch in the near future. That will make it very convenient to flick it on and off, I can run another switch for the OD switch, thats simple.

8. 06bluez

06bluez Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      '10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      I checked my online albums and I must have lost those, sorry...

9. MrLunchbox

MrLunchbox New Member

City, State:
      Northbridge, MA
      2010 Explorer Sport Trac
      Awesome mod! Very seriously considering it myself! On a side note though, does anyone know the part number for the OEM handle? Mine is deteriorating and if I don't do the mod i'd like to replace it.

10. MotorCityFats13

City, State:
      Flatrock MI
      2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      I just did this and all was great until i decided to drill the second hole... One was fine... So i should have stopped but it screwed up the lock rod so i had to rig it... Now my brake does not have to be applyed and it freely shifts up and down smoothly its better but it can be placed into gear with out the key... A replacement shifter assembly cost way too much so ill deal with it... I havent gotten around to modding it so i can use first gear manually

11. Adrenalin Dan

Adrenalin Dan New Member

2010 sport trac
      It might be a long-shot to request for a video of it but, knowing my mechanical skills i might do more damage.

12. Adrenalin Dan

Adrenalin Dan New Member

2010 sport trac
      well, the reason why i'm changing mine is because the chrome cap is chipping away. I don't think you would still like it renzAy34134. So i guess i'm just bound to drill some holes this weekend.

13. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m New Member

City, State:
      Centerton AR
      2007 Sport Trac
      A previous owner had obviously suffered from chipped peeling chrome on the shifter cap of my recently acquired ST. They had removed all the chrome which left the unsightly white cap visible, it drove me around the bend, it looked so out of place and nothing else in the cabin is white. Very annoying that they don't sell the cap seperately.
      I tried the Flex shifter handle but drilled my holes slightly too high and I also wasn't to excited about not being able to grab first when I needed to.
      I considered glueing leather or a wrap to the cap but since it wasn't willing to come off and I didn't want to break it those ideas were out.
      I looked around my garage and found some Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint in black and thought I'd give that a try. I masked off the leather and sprayed the cap with a couple of light coats. It looks great, especially compared to what it looked like before. I don't wear rings or anything on my right hand and after a couple of hundred miles of day to day use it seems to be holding up well. It sure beats paying about $200 for the complete gear shift assembly.

14. MotorCityFats13

City, State:
      Flatrock MI
      2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Used ones from wrecked trucks on ebay go for $50... I screwed up the interlock on mine doing this install and someday will need to replace it

15. Pelos55

Pelos55 New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio TX.
      2010 Ford Explorer STA
      I need some help

Hi

I just did my flex shifter conversion, but I'm having two issues;

OD button activate the light on the dash, but no down shift occurs.

and the other one is that the I'm having problems shifting to paking from drive, N or revers etc..

What did I did wrong? I followed the instructions here, but seems like everyone but me had an easy install!!

Please help!

16. Pelos55

Pelos55 New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio TX.
      2010 Ford Explorer STA
      hey man, did you had any issues with the OD button or shifting to park?

17. MotorCityFats13

City, State:
      Flatrock MI
      2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      if you drill too far you mess up the shift rod "like I did when I drilled the second hole" then you have to rig it up so there is no N lockout.... are you sure it is in D this is the only reason that the light would come on/off and no down shift... ie if you are in 3 then there is no OD

18. JeepGuy25

JeepGuy25 Member

2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
      Old thread...but its the one that I found most useful when I was looking into this mod.

I made a video (somewhat long) of how to do the install. I also found THE way to do this without screwing up your shift rod. You REMOVE IT. Its easy. Along with removing it, you have to de-burr the holes you drilled, and you also have to shave a few threads off the new screws that come with the Flex shift knob. If you do this...you will have no issues and everything will work smooth and perfect. Check out the video if you want!

Justin

Last edited: December 13, 2016
    19. MotorCityFats13

City, State:
      Flatrock MI
      2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      i did not know that it slides out that easy... i might be able to salvage my screw up and get the N lockout working again... good find!

20. JeepGuy25

JeepGuy25 Member

2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
      Yup! You should def be able to fix it. Just get a good grip on it, and pull nice and easy. Don't twist... You don't want to mess up the interference fit between the splines on the little shaft and the rod.

Also might as well shorten the mounting screws by a thread or two if you haven't already.

Justin

21. naiku

naiku Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
      Bringing this back up as I just recently picked up a Flex shifter...... can someone confirm the drill bit size to use. I have read M29 and M30, I already have an M29 bit but would need to buy an M30 if going that route.

Am I correct in that if you use the M29 that the screws will essentially self tap into the shift rod, but if using the M30 you need to use an M4 tap? If using the tap is it the 4-0.7 or 4-0.75 that should be used?

Other than that, the install looks fairly simple, which makes for a nice change!

22. JeepGuy25

JeepGuy25 Member

2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
      Check out my video above. Tap and drill sizes are in there, as well as some tips and tricks for the install. It's a few posts up.

J.

23. SixPonies

SixPonies Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mahomet, IL
      2010 Sport Trac LTD V8
      I did this mod a couple of months ago to my 2010 Sport Trac. Thanks to Jeepguy25's awesome how-to video, it was a piece of cake. As he recommended in the video, I used a #30 drill bit and M4 x .7 tap; and the screw fit like a glove. The shifter comes with two screws, but I only used one. It was snug enough that I didn't feel the need to drill another hole. The only problem with mine is that I must've drilled the hole slightly off, because my shifter is just a bit off from 12 o'clock, pointing just a bit towards 11 o'clock. But you only notice if you're looking at the shifter from dead center behind it, and I'm probably the only one who will ever notice it, because it's my truck. And also because I'm a bit **** like that!:D

Also, I didn't have any issues whatsoever with first gear. Upon completion of this mod, my shifter works normally, going all the way back into first gear. This is probably one of the best mods I've done to my Sport Trac so far. I think Ford should've installed these shifter from the factory instead of the big ugly one from the F150.

24. JeepGuy25

JeepGuy25 Member

2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
      So glad the video helped!!! If the shifter being clocked slightly off bothers you, just drill the opposite hole in a better spot and use the other side to screw it down. That was my thinking haha. My two bolts dont line up that great, so I just use one. But if I didnt like the angle, I could use the other for a slight adjustment.

As for first gear...I made a second video to show that it really isnt an issue. If you modified things to mount the shift knob up a little higher, it would be even less of an issue. You can see I still have full range of the gears...just doesnt clunk all the way back like it did from the factory. But honestly...how often do you need to lock in 1st gear with these? Maybe if you take it off-road often...but if thats the case Im betting the shift knob isnt where you are putting your money haha.

Justin

• Like Like x 1
    25. naiku

naiku Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
      Funnily enough I must have watched that video more than once, and glossed over the M4 x 0.70 piece!! haha. The OP in this thread used the M29 which is why I was not certain. I think I will go with the method you used, M30 and an M4 tap.

I will likely only use one screw as well, so glad to hear it is snug with just the single on there. Now to find some time to grind down a screw a couple threads and then get to installing it.

26. USMCBuckWild

USMCBuckWild Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      Still my favorite mod. I actually have another shifter in my garage in case I screwed it up!

• Like Like x 1