Ford Flex shift knob install in Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Flex shift knob install in Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Lord! Please write correctly without using slang expressions. I will donate through the Google translator. So I understand you, and You will understand me. With pleasure will answer all Your questions.

Is it the chrome trim ring or the black plastic support inside that keeps the new Flex shifter from going into 1st gear manually all-the-way back?

Is it the chrome trim ring or the black plastic support inside that keeps the new Flex shifter from going into 1st gear manually all-the-way back?

the black plastic center piece with the PRND indicator hits the lower chrome piece of the flex shifter in 1st..

The Lord! Please write correctly without using slang expressions. I will donate through the Google translator. So I understand you, and You will understand me. With pleasure will answer all Your questions.

sorry!

I looked closer at your pictures, and it appears that you removed a section from the black trim piece to make it shorter.

good idea, I will try this.

Great thread. Replaced mine this weekend with one on Ebay.

I found that you can leave some slack in the wiring and it will fit up in the shifter with no issues. I didn't want to fish that wiring, so I cut the old one near the shifter and then soldered the new one in place. I left enough slack to pull the shifter up further when connected.

You just need to make sure you have enough wire to get past the chrome cover so you can run it and solder it.

shifterwires.jpg

1st gear

would you be able to take a picture of this mod with the truck in 1st gear... if it does cause issues it would be nice to see what other mods can be made to fix this issue... Ill do this if it can be fixed with a little fiberglass work and post back some pics of my solution

I hate chrome...

10dbg4z.jpg

2vufqyf.jpg

2lwvfxc.jpg

OP, for some reason 2 of your pics aren't showing up (the ones where you are drilling the hole and modifying the wire). All i can see are the pics of the stock shifter & the pics of the end result. Thanks!

I just did this. AWESOME mod! Took about 2 hours altogether (spent some time cleaning and vacuuming out all the parts taken apart)

I plan on re-wiring my LED lightbar to the OD switch in the near future. That will make it very convenient to flick it on and off, I can run another switch for the OD switch, thats simple.

OP, for some reason 2 of your pics aren't showing up (the ones where you are drilling the hole and modifying the wire). All i can see are the pics of the stock shifter & the pics of the end result. Thanks!

I checked my online albums and I must have lost those, sorry...

Awesome mod! Very seriously considering it myself! On a side note though, does anyone know the part number for the OEM handle? Mine is deteriorating and if I don't do the mod i'd like to replace it.

I just did this and all was great until i decided to drill the second hole... One was fine... So i should have stopped but it screwed up the lock rod so i had to rig it... Now my brake does not have to be applyed and it freely shifts up and down smoothly its better but it can be placed into gear with out the key... A replacement shifter assembly cost way too much so ill deal with it... I havent gotten around to modding it so i can use first gear manually

It might be a long-shot to request for a video of it but, knowing my mechanical skills i might do more damage.

well, the reason why i'm changing mine is because the chrome cap is chipping away. I don't think you would still like it renzAy34134. So i guess i'm just bound to drill some holes this weekend.

A previous owner had obviously suffered from chipped peeling chrome on the shifter cap of my recently acquired ST. They had removed all the chrome which left the unsightly white cap visible, it drove me around the bend, it looked so out of place and nothing else in the cabin is white. Very annoying that they don't sell the cap seperately.
I tried the Flex shifter handle but drilled my holes slightly too high and I also wasn't to excited about not being able to grab first when I needed to.
I considered glueing leather or a wrap to the cap but since it wasn't willing to come off and I didn't want to break it those ideas were out.
I looked around my garage and found some Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint in black and thought I'd give that a try. I masked off the leather and sprayed the cap with a couple of light coats. It looks great, especially compared to what it looked like before. I don't wear rings or anything on my right hand and after a couple of hundred miles of day to day use it seems to be holding up well. It sure beats paying about $200 for the complete gear shift assembly.

A previous owner had obviously suffered from chipped peeling chrome on the shifter cap of my recently acquired ST. They had removed all the chrome which left the unsightly white cap visible, it drove me around the bend, it looked so out of place and nothing else in the cabin is white. Very annoying that they don't sell the cap seperately.
I tried the Flex shifter handle but drilled my holes slightly too high and I also wasn't to excited about not being able to grab first when I needed to.
I considered glueing leather or a wrap to the cap but since it wasn't willing to come off and I didn't want to break it those ideas were out.
I looked around my garage and found some Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint in black and thought I'd give that a try. I masked off the leather and sprayed the cap with a couple of light coats. It looks great, especially compared to what it looked like before. I don't wear rings or anything on my right hand and after a couple of hundred miles of day to day use it seems to be holding up well. It sure beats paying about $200 for the complete gear shift assembly.

Used ones from wrecked trucks on ebay go for $50... I screwed up the interlock on mine doing this install and someday will need to replace it

I need some help

Hi

I just did my flex shifter conversion, but I'm having two issues;

OD button activate the light on the dash, but no down shift occurs.

and the other one is that the I'm having problems shifting to paking from drive, N or revers etc..

What did I did wrong? I followed the instructions here, but seems like everyone but me had an easy install!!

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man, did you had any issues with the OD button or shifting to park?

Back