Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by blwnsmoke, October 13, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bigtexan99

bigtexan99 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Sport
      I read somewhere about how Ford is modifying the exhaust outlets to point down or something on the theory that the exhaust pipe tips are to close to the rear of the bumper and gases are getting trapped in there at deceleration.

I wonder how hard it would be to temporarily attach a 2 foot straight extension to the end of the tailpipes and go for a test drive and see if the rotten eggs smell has gone away.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dora51032

dora51032 Member

'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
      there was an old TSB related to this i believe, early last year ford dealer performed some repairs on mine like modifying the exhaust tip to point downward and some resealing stuff (foamlike), i could say the smells was reduce but not completely gone. hope they found new solution to this issue [​IMG]

4. Nasty

Nasty Active Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      I had the TSB done and it really didn't fix it.. Maybe it's slightly better but it still happens with re-circulatory on.

5. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      Lemon law if under warranty in the U.S would apply sooner or later then they would have to buy it back if not repaired for same issue.

http://www.lemonlawusa.com/

"While in most states as a general rule, if a vehicle continues to have a defect within the warranty period even after it has been repaired four or more times or has been out of service at a dealership for thirty days or more, and the problem substantially impairs its use, value or safety, then the vehicle is considered to be a Lemon. In most states, it is then up to the consumer to decide whether he or she wants a refund of money and to give back the vehicle or whether he or she wants a replacement vehicle."

6. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Yes. But you'd have to prove it was unsafe. You'd need a lawyer and to force them to do it, they would never own up to it, and just buy it back.

7. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      No attorney needed for lemon law

8. Asingu

Asingu New Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, Ca
      none
      Hello my name is Gabriel and I'm a journalist. I was wondering you would have time to talk to me about the exhaust recall and if you can explain your comments on the flaws of the generations of Explorers since your 5.0? Thank you.

9. Halford1

Halford1 Member

City, State:
      California
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT

good idea I will do likewise.

10. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
      “Ford said its investigation has not found "carbon monoxide levels that exceed what people are exposed to every day" in the 1.4 million civilian vehicles. There is no U.S. government standard for in-vehicle carbon monoxide levels. Ford says it believes the vehicles are safe and is making the offer, which it is not classifying as a recall, in response to customer concerns.”

I’m confused why Ford says “it believes the vehicles are safe” vs saying “the vehicles are safe." Perhaps this is how it has to be written per the legal review.

“The second largest U.S. automaker said starting November 1, dealers will reprogram the air conditioner, replace the liftgate drain valves and inspect sealing of the rear of the vehicle. The fix covers about 1.3 million U.S. vehicles and about 100,000 in Canada and Mexico.”

Interesting that the air conditioner is being reprogrammed, maybe it's being programmed to go off of recirculate in certain conditions in an effort to let outside air in to dilute the exhaust gases should they enter the cabin.

“Ford declined to comment on the potential financial impact of the service offer that will last through the end of 2018.”

I’ll say it again, some owners will never smell the exhaust in the cabin due to how they drive their Explorers or perhaps they own an Explorer that is tightly sealed. Many owners will not drive them at WOT and/or having the ventilation system on recirculate at the same time, unless they encounter an emergency situation that is more than likely very short term in nature.

Also, how will the notification process work, word of mouth or will post cards be sent to all affected fifth generation Explorer owners.

“The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in July upgraded and expanded a probe into 1.33 million Ford Explorer SUVs over reports of exhaust odors in vehicle compartments and exposure to carbon monoxide.

Police agencies have reported two crashes that may be linked to carbon monoxide exposure and a third incident involving injuries related to carbon monoxide exposure.

NHTSA said it is evaluating preliminary testing that suggests carbon monoxide levels may be elevated in certain driving scenarios.”

Is the NHTSA investigation/probe complete or did Ford make this offer before the investigation/probe has been completed? Also, are there two different probes going on at once, one for the civilian Explorer owners and one for the police vehicles or is it one overall probe for all fifth generation Explorers?

Last edited: October 17, 2017
    11. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      The HVAC updated strategy is to command the recirculation door open during hard accelerations.

12. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Customers can take their vehicles, regardless of mileage or warranty status, to a Ford dealer to have this service performed, starting Nov. 1, 2017 through Dec. 31, 2018. Customer mailings will begin the week of Nov. 13, 2017, and be completed by Dec. 22, 2017. Customers with questions also can call a dedicated hotline at 888-260-5575.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-e...CBSNews.com)&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    13. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      A rotten egg smell comes from sulfur compounds, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Can you have both, sure, but I'd be more concerned with H2S with a rotten egg smell than i would be with CO.

14. 66gt350ps

66gt350ps New Member

City, State:
      Honolulu, Hawaii
      2014 Explorer Sport
      No problem yet on regular a/c, but get the smell with defroster mode. Not taking any chances and having service done. Also, when car is to be sold, best to have a record of any special service done, recall or not.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      I would invest in a detector and make sure you have exhaust entering, but I would still talk with a Ford dealer. I personally would not want the interior of my vehicle taken apart if that's what it came to if there is no leak. As far as I'm concerned if I can smell anything out of the ordinary besides the "new car smell" I would not want it, not normal, even if its a "safe" smell. Say it smelled like rotting cabbage:laugh:

16. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    17. Nasty

Nasty Active Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Yes but both of those gases are coming from the same source and travel along the same route... So if you have a sulfur smell (from the cats) that means you have an entrance for all of the other gases which undoubtedly includes carbon monoxide.

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Both could also be pulled in from another vehicle through the vents. I've noticed the sulphur smell from a vehicle ahead of me a few times.

Peter

19. Nasty

Nasty Active Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      For myself, I can replicate it as much as I want with a pass at WOT so that's not it. Not to mention AC is on re-circulatory.

20. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      My post was meant to be a generalization of how the smell could be noticed inside the cabin of any vehicle, not just the Explorer.

21. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Even with it on recirc, your vehicle still pulls in outside air.

22. 2017 XLT Sport App Pkg

2017 XLT Sport App Pkg New Member

2017 XLT Sport App Pkg
      I think my car is impacted by the exhaust leak. I bought my 2017 Explorer about a year ago and just recently started feeling nauseous, bad headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and I've been coughing up brown mucous which is tied to inhaling air pollution or hazardous gases. I have been driving my 2.5 year old son to daycare the last two weeks and he has had similar symptoms. Strangely enough, his behavior has been inexplicable during the same time period. I'm thinking it's all related because he feels ill.

When I found out about the TSB a few days ago, I started trying to pay more attention to the smell of gas or whether my symptoms were intensified while in the car. This morning when I was driving to my son's daycare, I immediately got a headache. After I dropped him off, I kept the A/C on and the windows up, but I briefly cracked open the sunroof. Once I did that, I could smell the gas and when I took a breath the effects of the gas went straight to my head and I felt high as a kite.

I called Ford this morning when I got to work. They gave me a case number and told me to call the dealership, give them the case number, and see what they can do for me. I told them I was not comfortable driving my car for another 10-12 days before the November 1st program begins. She said I will have to call the dealership to see what my options are. I haven't called the dealership yet but I hope they will provide me with a rental car free of charge. Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario?

23. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Quit driving your kid around in that car, period. Get a rental until you can hash it out with Ford.

24. 2017 XLT Sport App Pkg

2017 XLT Sport App Pkg New Member

2017 XLT Sport App Pkg
      Just called the dealership. The guy told me they don't have the parts (a "flapper") in yet to do the repairs and they likely won't until November 1st. I told him that I am not comfortable driving the car from now until then and asked if I could have a rental car in the meantime. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back to tell me that that wasn't included as part of the program. I said, "so you're saying that I'm pretty much on my own until November 1st?" He said, "That's the information that I'm getting but you're welcome to talk to or leave a message with our service manager." He also told me that they do all of the repairs for the Orange County sheriffs' Explorers and 99% of the time they can't smell gas or anything. I told him that's great but it doesn't mean anything to me. I explained that I am simply telling him about the problem that I am having with my vehicle. What they found with other vehicles is irrelevant to me. I left a message with the service manager explaining the situation and asked for a rental car. I will update once I hear back from him. I imagine it will be more of the same.

25. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Just an FYI. |As shown in the Warranty Guide, Ford does not supply rentals/loaners for warranty work. Any rentals supplied are at the dealer's expense. The exception I believe would be where Ford expressly states a rental/loaner would be supplied for certain repairs. Unfortunately this case it doesn't appear to be one of those.

Peter

26. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Guess what's being done..

20171019_170753.jpg