Ford Remote Start iPhone app. (Fordpass) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start iPhone app. (Fordpass)

srfrboy

Reaction score
City, State
Glenview, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Hello all, we have just purchased our 2017 Explorer Platinum. Coming from a 2012 Explorer Limited. Love the upgrades that Ford has made to the Gen 5. I am interested in the Ford App that allows a person to remote start the car. Anyone have any information on how to get the SIM and the four digit code that the app requires? Is there any additional hardware that the car will need?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all, we have just purchased our 2017 Explorer Platinum. Coming from a 2012 Explorer Limited. Love the upgrades that Ford has made to the Gen 5. I am interested in the Ford App that allows a person to remote start the car. Anyone have any information on how to get the SIM and the four digit code that the app requires? Is there any additional hardware that the car will need?

Thanks so much for your assistance.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I guess you are referring to this? https://www.fordpass.com/
According to the article it only works in conjunction with Sync3 and Sync Connect. Unfortunately the 2017 Explorer doesn't have the latter.

Peter

What is Sync Connect? And why a Fusion and an Escape, but not the Explorer. Crazy!

Thank you.

I just got off the phone with my dealership. They called Ford directly and found out that my Explorer has the required modem in the car from the factory and the app will work with my car. Will post results once I get it up and running.

FordPass Compatible Vehicles.

The Command and Control features are only available for vehicles that have SYNC Connect (embedded mode).

SYNC Connect was an installed option on my Explorer.

If a vehicle has SYNC3 Connect it is noted on the window sticker and when you sign up for Ford Pass it automatically knows if the connect modem is installed and will report that and ask for it to be activated.

If a vehicle has SYNC3 Connect it is noted on the window sticker and when you sign up for Ford Pass it automatically knows if the connect modem is installed and will report that and ask for it to be activated.
Not to sound dumb, but will it say exactly that (SYNC3 Connect) and, if so, where at on the sticker? I'm not doubting you, just trying to get a better picture.

I went outside and played around with it for a bit (rather tried to) and, although the FordPass icon showed up on the Explorer's screen the app on my phone side said I was 'moving' and wouldn't let me access it until I was in park (I was in park the whole time.) When I went into the menu on the FordPass app via the Explorer's touch screen the only option available was to close the app.

Anyway, I'm confused. It seems like it recognizes the app, but won't let me use it. Will at least some functionality be turned on for it (even if remote start, door lock/unlock isn't), say fuel level, mileage, etc? Seems like a waste to let it connect and then not be able to utilize it at all.

srfrBoy, I would suggest that your dealer is confusing two different remote vehicle processes.

Remote Cellular Access (through Ford Custom Accessories) is a legacy hardware kit and Smartphone App that has VERY basic functionality.
Unlock,
Lock,
Find,
Start

Many of us have this plug and play add on and its also an alarm system that notifies you if you vehicle is triggered. It requires an annual subscription service. There is a long thread on this package already. The App has had no updates for years and so far is not optimized for iOS10.

https://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

In the 2017 model year the Ford Escape and Fiesta will apparently have 4G connectivity options with the new SYNC Connect.

I confirmed again today no 2017 Explorer is being delivered with this feature as of today. Thats not to say Job2 wont add it.

JMR061 is by far the most knowledgeable on this forum, with regards to the Ford multimedia and electronic programming. If he says its not there, its not.

Have a look at DroneMobile, its less $$$$ and does more.

I have also seen on a couple of forums that people are saying they have heard Connect will be an available add on for the aftermarket. Personally I can't see Ford doing this so I wouldn't plan on that either. Surprises do happen but this would involve Ford supplying 4G modems and antenna kits along with having to tap into the vehicle CAN bus system and then updating their Connect vin list with the VIN of the vehicle it was added to and the serial of the modem. They won't add NAV, I certainly can't see them doing this.

Your best bet is to add the Remote Access kit which will allow cell phone control over remote start/lock/unlock functions via your smart phone but will cost you $50/yr plus the hardware/install/activation cost.

Is there something wrong with your remote start key function ? mine works from 400 yds......Ford Pass is just another worthless app taking space up on your cell IMO.

So your OEM remote works from 400yds? That's an olympic record, better call Ripley's.

So your OEM remote works from 400yds? That's an olympic record, better call Ripley's.
As does door unlock, rear hatch open and alarm...must be the clean air here. I'll apply to Ripley's for the WR with all license rights to Ford of course.

Is there something wrong with your remote start key function ? mine works from 400 yds......Ford Pass is just another worthless app taking space up on your cell IMO.
There are times...many times, actually...when I might have my cell phone on me but not my fob. I park in a pole barn that isn't attached to our house. Carry my phone all around the yard (which is roughly 3 acres), but no need for keys if I'm not planning on going anywhere. And while I doubt I would use the function regularly it would be nice to have that option. It's not worth paying for as an 'add on' for me, but if it was able to be activated (which from what Jason has said it sound like it won't be/can't be) for free I would be interested.

I get that for many people this function would be viewed as worthless, but to me it could have come in handy occasionally.

I am disappointed we don't get this. my wifes terrain got it and its no where near a truck as the explorer is. my question is, if we don't have the parts needed, how does it measure the fuel left?

also, some uses are, for me, when I'm at work and its snowing, it would be great to warm it up without having to go outside

I am disappointed we don't get this. my wifes terrain got it and its no where near a truck as the explorer is. my question is, if we don't have the parts needed, how does it measure the fuel left?

also, some uses are, for me, when I'm at work and it's snowing, it would be great to warm it up without having to go outside

Unfortunately GM's On* App and mobile multimedia package is way ahead of Ford's. Even their Navigation is superior. We had a Terrain back in 2011 that had all the App data Ford is now allowing with Ford Connect.

If you add Cellular Remote Access you can warm up your car, if that's your main reason.

Kind of an expensive option that should be included like On* but Ford doesn't see it that way.

Like I mentioned before, for almost half the money look into DroneMobile, way more functionality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused. Are we saying I won't be able to use FordPass to start, stop, lock and unlock my brand new 2017 Sport?

Back