Ford Touch / Sync not working | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Touch / Sync not working

Got my Ex back with the new APIM and Sync updated from 2.7 to 2.8. IMO, the system seems to be back to just as it was before I had the issue, no better, no worse.
Here's to hoping that this APIM lasts more than 2 months....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seeing as to how good Windows Phone 7 and Windows 7 are, I do believe they can really up the ante on the performance, reliability, and overall user experience of MFT.

Got my Ex back with the new APIM and Sync updated from 2.7 to 2.8. IMO, the system seems to be back to just as it was before I had the issue, no better, no worse.
Here's to hoping that this APIM lasts more than 2 months....

Crap. I was really hoping you had success. This is really disheartening.

Are you positive they actually installed a new one and didn't just update the software? I'm suspicious...

I say this because the cost on a new APIM is about $2000 according to the rep I've been talking to. Also, it took hurdles for them to approve mine and yours was so simple and easy. really makes me suspicious that it was actually done. Did you see the parts? I intend to watch it happen with my own eyes, just because I want so badly for this car to perform correctly after all the hassle.

Were all of your settings returned to factory?

The short answer is no, I was not present at all when the Ex was being worked on, in fact since I had to be at work, I simply dropped the car off Wednesday night at the dealership with the note that MFT was stuck in a reboot loop and I tried fuse 29 and battery cable pull without success.
Got a call Thursday afternoon that they couldnt do the software update and that it needed a new APIM, which were already on order (obviously a sign of more wisespread issues) for delivery tomorrow. They called me on Friday saying it was replaced and ready to go.
Some settings were reset, such as the clock, however other settings, such as Sirius presets were still intact. To reiterate, I was never having anywhere near the number of problems as Loganfilm, before this reboot loop. I would have been happy with just a software update to "unstick it". I never mentioned APIM replacement to the dealer, they brought it up on their own. So they would have no reason to tell me a new APIM was being installed, when I would be just as happy to get the Ex back to the way it worked for 2 months even if it only required an update from 2.7 to 2.8.
I did think it's odd that not all my settings were lost, but I'm also not sure if the APIM is what houses all the memory for MFT.
In the end, I'm happy to be back to where I was, because, while not perfect, MFT was performing "ok".

An APIM costs $2000??!!! Zoinks, but that is just crazy. I'm not doubting you, LoganFilm, but am hoping someone is off by a decimal place. I just can't imagine that little box costing that much unless it is full of custom chips, etc. in which case Ford should be ashamed for being taken by the vendor.

Yep. That's what they told me.

I really doubt that 2011XLT actually had it replaced.... Supposedly, it's the brain for the car. You would certainly loose your settings if it was replaced.

Methinks you got hosed and they charged Ford for a $2000 install that they never did. I think you should follow up on that.

P.S. I'm sure that price includes labor, which has to be the most expensive part.

I would bet a lot of money that 2011XLT has the same one he started with.

Skeavy!

Here's the work order word for word (removed tech's name only):

A C/S That my touch screen is blank
Cause: Check my touch blank perform tsb 11 04
18 program unsuccessful replace apim
program new module
110418B Perform TSB 11 04 18
Reprogramming apim unsuccessfull repla
mt mt110418 m time for replacing apim

fc: a07 04
part#: 14D212

I'll bet good money you didn't get a new APIM and you need one.

If I had to go through a bunch of crap to get one, there is NO way they just handed you one.

I have caused them to lose sales over mine. A fact that is apparent on this website and through letters from friends that have been scared away that I sent to Ford. If I had to do that to get one, then do you really think they just "popped" in a $2000 part on yours?

I honestly think you've been lied to. I don't think you got a new APIM and you likely still need one.

Maybe this is why some are still having problems after they have supposedly been replaced? Am I too jaded to make this assessment? I dunno. Seems like if your settings are all still there, then they didn't do it.

In California, they are supposed to show you all of the old parts that were replaced. I don't know if that's true everywhere, but I would certainly ask.

P.S. that part that they just "popped in" is totally backordered all over. I'm doubting your "repair" more and more.

I hope you get proof.

I really cant say one way or the other. The only settings that remained were the Sirius station presets.
The daylight savings option was reset, my phone pairing was no longer listed, and my default view to the left of the speedometer was back to the first option (this normally always starts up with the view I use which is tach, fuel and temp).
I sincerely hope your issues are resolved soon, I know I wouldn't trust anything after being given the run around you have been through. Everyone deserves a chance to correct an issue, for me they so far have seem to have done that with their chance. Should the same issue come back, I probably won't be as easy going.

Cool. I wish you the best.

I really just want these things to work as they should. If they did, it would be an excellent vehicle. As they are? Not so much.

Im told in July we will see MFT completely re-written, don't know if its with Microsoft Mobile OS7 or not just know its completely being re-done, not just updated.

I'd be shocked if this is true. An update of some sort? Yeah, probably. I mean we've already had 2.4, 2.7 and 2.8. So a 2.11 (or whatever) seem likely. Even Cory says below that we will likely see an "update" around July.

But I don't believe for a second that it will be completely re-written. Not even half a second. And certainly not anything with a different interface. That's an unrealistic hope.

I would bet that overtime on all the MFT programming monkeys has been encouraged and approved by Mr. Mulaly himself.

This new "update" better be good...

PS thank you for this forum. Without it, I would have put my fist through the dash long ago.

This new "update" better be good...

Well, there have already been two previous updates. How do you like it so far? :rolleyes:

Maybe the third time will indeed be the proverbial charm. Or, well, maybe not. Place your bets.

Steve Jobs is still alive. I think Mr Mulaly could raise him on the blower and get this sorted properly... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Think what you want, but an announcement that Apple was hired to redo MFT would turn everything around.

I would shut the hell up if I knew that was happening and totally wait it out.

Gladly.

Back