Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Forscan tool

Discussion in 'Tools and Garage' started by ptf18, February 8, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ptf18

ptf18 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Sport Trac
      Fellows: Being very old school I've ujst "learned" about this "tool" called Forscan.

I youtube it and followed some of the posts there but Im not real sure on what this "tool" is all about.

Anyone use it?

Could you give me a real simple explanation on what it is (a scanning tool of some sort)?

Apparently to down load the software is free for Window Operating systems. The user still needs to purchase the "adapter" to connect the OBDII port on the vehicle to whatever computer (in my case a laptop) one wishes to use. Any suggestions on what "adapter" to purchase.... I'ld want a real good one...whatever that might mean.

Thanks,
      ptf18

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 15Limited

15Limited New Member

City, State:
      TN
      2015 Explorer Limited 4x4
      FORSCAN, with the basic download you mentioned, will allow you to view/scan the basic operating parameters of your Ford/Lincoln/Mazda vehicles from 1996 to newer. Generally, the newer the car the more parameters you will be able to view. You will also be able to view trouble codes/lights and reset most (if not all) of those.

To summarize, with the basic FORSCAN you have a really good OBD scanner...but, with the advance license you get:

the ability to turn on/off features of your car that are already loaded into your car's modules. For example, on some of the newer Explorers you can turn off the double-horn honk if you step out of your car with the vehicle running, turn on/change DRLs, change displays on the Sync screens, etc. If you do a Google search, or a search on this forum you will find the codes needed to make changes to your vehicle (I'm not sure what can be changed on a 2002, but searching will reveal that info.)

To get the advance license, go to the FORSCAN website and they describe what you need to upgrade (it's free for now) and what kind of OBD adapters they recommend.

FORScan forum • Index page

I bought my OBD/FORSCAN adapter through Amazon and it works great...once I downloaded the updated driver for the adapter and loaded it onto my laptop.

There is a lot more info out there on FORSCAN, but this should help get you in the right direction.

4. 15Limited

15Limited New Member

City, State:
      TN
      2015 Explorer Limited 4x4