found out something interesting | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

found out something interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't in Minnesota anymore, so there isn't anything I can do about it LOL, but I would like to see (visually) how it was done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this a dead topic?

no, but the person who posted it might be dead if he doesn't get some pics sometime soon =P

if you take a moment to think about what he's said he's done there's more too it then just flipping a knuckle and changing a ball joint and redrilling a hole hear and there..

exactly.....that's the answers we are looking for tho!

Don't worry guys.................I figured out a way to drop the SLA (IFS) Explorers about 6" in the front with no ill affects at all. It actually rides smoother than stock, with much better cornering performance.

I should have pics any day..................................

btw: this is meant as sarcasm........I call Shananigans!

I gots some pics, yo. Be right back. (Seriously, sorta).

Since I happen to have a set of control arms and spindles in my garage.. I thought I'd assemble them just to see what exactly is going on here (although I don't give a rats ass about lowering 4+ inches :D ).

Anyway, here is a mock-up of our front suspension at stock form, right?

The spindles is horizontal while the upper and lower control arms have about 4 inches or so between their vertical mounting points.. dealio. Okay.

Attachments

• demo01.jpg
    demo01.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 568

So... that brings us to throwing the other spindle on upside down. Sound easy enough. But leaving the control arms in roughly the same mounting position really screws the hell out of the spindle angle.

Attachments

• demo03.jpg
    demo03.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 568

To even the spindle angle out you'd need to either get longer upper control arms.. or.. uhmm.. bend.. your spindle flat? I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• demo02.jpg
    demo02.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 556

he said they had to fabricate some stuff... I wouldn't think it would be hard to extend the upper control arm, but what do I know? for some reason I think that the long-term effects of this would somehow be bad?

that would make the wheel move out wouldnt it? it would look like an rc car lol but its doable i guess if u have the money to spend on custom making everyhing on the front of the truck

Originally posted by mhn3773
that would make the wheel move out wouldnt it? it would look like an rc car lol but its doable i guess if u have the money to spend on custom making everyhing on the front of the truck

Yeah, you're right. You can see how much further the spindle is out from the lower control arm when it's upside down.

Shoot, if you do this and the wheels go that far out, all you will need are some 13" gold wire wheels and a name like Paco. Oh yea, and top it off with EVERY plastic stick on accesory ever made and you are good to go.

The easiest way that I see to correct the weird angle is to heat up the lower control arm and bend it flat so it doesn't curve up. That would take care of most of the camber, and wouldn't put the spindle out 3 inches more than stock.

i think they put the lower control arm up top and used the upper control arm on bottom. the torsion bar now runs through the fenderwell under the front seat. :p

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
Shoot, if you do this and the wheels go that far out, all you will need are some 13" gold wire wheels and a name like Paco. Oh yea, and top it off with EVERY plastic stick on accesory ever made and you are good to go.

:D

Originally posted by Hartman
The easiest way that I see to correct the weird angle is to heat up the lower control arm and bend it flat so it doesn't curve up. That would take care of most of the camber, and wouldn't put the spindle out 3 inches more than stock.

I heard that's what all the cool kids are doing! who cares if your lower control arm becomes brittle and slaps after that process at least we'll look cool!! :D :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, I dont know if this is a really stupid idea... but could you flip the lower control arm upside down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back