• Register Today It's free!

Fourth Generation Cautions?

aldonKY

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I am currently in the market to replace my much revered original owner '95 XLT (400,000+ miles) with another great Explorer. My spouse's '98 XLT (250,000 miles) was never the equal of it, though. And, the changes in the 2011 seem to be in the direction of a station wagon, not a utility vehicle. I have used Explorers on the farm to pull hay wagons as well as fording streams up to the axels to get a friend to his remote hunting cabin, launching boats on ramps so shallow that the engine fan throws a mist of lake water onto the windshield, and rescued telephone company employees from snow up to their ___es. And, I'm not interested in a 2011 version of a Kingswood Estate wagon. So, even though I have had good luck buying a new Ford van, truck, and suv and driving them until there's nothing left of them, I am looking for a good low mileage, used Explorer. But, I'm not sure what vintage to look for. I'll probably go with a 2006-2010 unless some of you has had some bad experiences with that generation that I'd appreciate hearing about. In short, I'd like to know what people's experience has been with and what they think of the fourth generation Explorer.

Back