Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Is the ass end still lower than the front? How do you plan on fixing it?
cough 63 chebbies cough

The rear sits about a inch or so lower since I put the shackles back one. The front will settle a little over time. Springs are still new.

I have actually been contemplating the 63" chevy springs to get rid of the shackles and maybe they will last longer. Havent ever seen anybody do it on a explorer though.

I haven't either, but I've been trying and get an idea of the ways you could do it without relocating too much stuff back there. Got a few ideas I could run by you when I stop by since you likely have the skills and resources to turn them into reality.

Well messed with the doubler a little bit this past weekend. Its tight without a body lift and you not able to clock the rear case up any without cutting a big hole in the floor.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Test fit
IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Had to trim the body crossmember a little bit and grind a piece off the t-case.
IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

Started making the shifters
IMAG0290.jpg

2 hi
IMAG0291.jpg

4 low
IMAG0293.jpg

4 double low
IMAG0292.jpg

Going to try to get some more done on it this weekend.

I like the shifter setup. Pretty ingenious. :thumbsup:

have you measured the front wheel travel yet just wondering how much you get with those arms and springs thx

thanks for the parts man. Lookin forward to wheeling together soon.

This is a very nice ride in person.

Doubler is in. I officaly have a mall crawler now. It will definitely crawl and it temporarily 2wd until I get to build the trans crossmember.

Got it all in today and make the shift handles. Double low is badass. Cant wait to get it out and do some wheeling.

Had to get the bfh out on the floorboard.
IMAG0295.jpg

Got room for it now.
IMAG0296.jpg

Shifters and double boot. Still got to cut the shifters to length and thread them for some knobs so dont mind them yet.
IMAG0299.jpg

2 high
IMAG0298.jpg

4 double low
IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

Going to run to Napa tomorrow and see about getting a new longerspeedometer cable so the speedo will work again.

Wow. That is so frickin cool. I'm so diggin the shifter set up. I know that took some trial & error, and I know plenty of cuss words were spoken during the installation of all that. Those little things are almost always the most PITA things to deal with.

Congrats on all that hard work man, can't wait to see what you do with this thing on the trails. :thumbsup:

This is gonna be pretty sweet!! Looking good!

The duff arms are aweome I had a set and they are stout!!! had my whole explorer rest on one on a nig rock lol, just lost a bit of powder coating LOL

cant beleive i never read this one before. Nice build!

Well was about to order a set of chromo shafts for the front the other day and ran across this for a deal. ARB for the d44. Got it from bronco2guy. Going to save up a little more cash and get some chromo axles next.

Came in the mail today.
IMAG0306.jpg

Also got a new speedo cable from Napa today. Stock one was too short with the doubler. Its for a 91 Aeroster and has the same ends and is about 8" longer. Works prefect.

Shows how much longer the stock.
IMAG0305.jpg

Had a crossmember fabbed up today. Not a lot of room to work with under there with the driveshaft and exhaust in the way and wanting to keep it tucked up in the frame. lol

Pics suck.
IMAG0307Small.jpg

IMAG0308Small.jpg

IMAG0309Small.jpg

IMAG0310Small.jpg

Back