Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches

Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital.

There are several options, many brands and styles.

Round Tube?

Square?

Rectangular?

Full Size Spare or Not?

I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating.

The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site.

I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, consider you get what you pay for too.

I am more concerned with getting one someone can confrm will work with the stock spare tire.

Can anyone give me a link or a name model number ??

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The Hidden Hitches are one of a few top name brands. They have a model that works for any older Explorer with the OEM 29" 15's. You should have 16's, which are 30" tall. The models made for the later Explorers will work with your spare. My hitch is made for the older trucks, as I mentioned I like it enough that I made it work for my 30" spare, a 275/60/17" on an OEM 2004 Mountaineer wheel. Check the details of a hitch description, it should tell you what you ask. Go with a name brand , they should work fine.

your link doesnt work

Must be something wrong with your computer. First this doesn't work, and then you say the word "for" is highlighted on your screen.

The link works just fine.

I have a class III hitch anyone know what those are rated for?

I just got a Hidden Hitch with the round tubing. My 2000 EX has a 15" spare and I thought I saw an issue using this hitch with a 16" spare, but the spare is definitely in the way of the hitch. Any ideas? Also, the hitch is held on with just four bolts. How is it possible the hitch can handle thousands of pounds of towing capacity and deal with the stesses of braking, etc., with so little mounting hardware?

I just saw a hidden hitch attached to an 1999 explorer sport at my local yard. looked in great condition too so think I'll go back and pull it off. Will i need to remove the spare before I take it off?

I just got a Hidden Hitch with the round tubing. My 2000 EX has a 15" spare and I thought I saw an issue using this hitch with a 16" spare, but the spare is definitely in the way of the hitch. Any ideas? Also, the hitch is held on with just four bolts. How is it possible the hitch can handle thousands of pounds of towing capacity and deal with the stesses of braking, etc., with so little mounting hardware?

The combined sheer strength of the bolts (breaking the bolts in half) which runs into tens of thousand pounds in sheer strength.

The combined sheer strength of the bolts (breaking the bolts in half) which runs into tens of thousand pounds in sheer strength.

Ditto, the key is shear strength and the pulling angles.

I have an older round hitch made for the 15" tires, and a 17" spare. The front of the hitch protrudes out forward into the space for the spare. You can cut or grind the hitch there until it's flush with the framework of the hitch. I did that and it gained me about 1/2", which is the 30" size of a 16" OEM tire.

I just checked it and I can at most remove about 1/8" from the rear of the nose before cutting into the welding bead. Bummer. I don't have the tools to do heavy metal cutting anyway except very laborously, and once I start I can't return it. I attempted to contact Hidden Hitch but their web site has no phone number or address - strange. I filled out the web contact form but it doesn't look good for a response if they've made themselves so hard to reach. What can be so darn difficult about making a hitch that fits with a standard spare?

They make a different hitch that started when the trucks began coming with 16's. That one was square tubed, and I'm not sure they made a round tube model to do the same thing.

You can also push/bend the front spare bracket forward. I didn't do that but lots of guys here have. That should give you the room for a normal sized spare, 15" or 16".

I liked this old round tube version, it's well hidden. I cleaned off the rust and had it powder coated, plus saved the part number decal. The bolts are fairly old and two of them are unique square headed bolts. I bought new grade eight bolts to replace them.

Okay, the newbie is learning. Once I saw how the mechanism for lowering the spare worked I had the idea if it was lowered and the raised back up after the hitch was in place there'd be enough freedom of movement that I could simply raise it about an inch further forward without even bending the bracket forward. Voila! I didn't even half to bend anything. I got a neat little trailer mount kit from Northern Tool with 4" drop and ball for $20, complete with hard shell carry case to keep it all neat when not used, and it fit the 5x7 Carry-On trailer I picked up just fine. All is well. The moral of the sotry for other newbies is to not panic if the hitch doesn't fit.

The 91-2001 models all can take the same hitches. Just note that the hitch design determines if a 16" spare will fit or not. The 15" tires are 29", those will fit any truck. The 30" tires don't fit in front of all of the hitches, but usually trimming the hitch can make those work too.

I just put my new-in-June '97 Ex's round tube Hidden Hitch onto my 2000 Ex. I have the 15" spare, and had to lower it down, install the hitch, then raise up again swinging it back an inch or so before snugging up. No need to grind the bar. Not sure on the 16" spare though.

I installed the "Hidden Hitch" on my 05 Ranger 4x4. It peeks out nicely under the rear bumper and with the contour of the hitch, allowed me to install a seven blade connector close to the receiver. Be sure to KNOW what your truck is rated to pull as each model has different ratings. Check your manual!!!

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I am trying to find a hitch for my 93 Explorer Sport, 2 door.

I'm trying to clarify if it has the oversize spare or not.

The spare tire (along with the other tires) is a P235/75R15.

From what I have read above, I think the 15" is not the oversize and this HITCH will fit.. correct?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Mary K

PS Im trying to get my home built Teardrop Camper leveled out behind the Explorer. Pic of it hooked to the bumper =/

Back