FROADER's 2005 F-150 FX4 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FROADER's 2005 F-150 FX4

Dropped this pig off at the dealer Monday morning and picked it up the next day giving them $530 and I'm not pissed. I've been a bad owner and not done anything (besides oil changes) to this since I bought it, so I figured it was time.

Here is the list of things that were done to it.
Airbag harness recall
Oil Change & filter
Spark plugs (one broke)
Trans service
"Courtesy" check

I thought for sure it would be a lot more than that considering the 2-piece plugs. Thankfully only one of them broke, because they charge a 1/2 hr labor for each one that does. So now the truck runs like new and I couldn't be happier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dropped this pig off at the dealer Monday morning and picked it up the next day giving them $530 and I'm not pissed. I've been a bad owner and not done anything (besides oil changes) to this since I bought it, so I figured it was time.

Here is the list of things that were done to it.
Airbag harness recall
Oil Change & filter
Spark plugs (one broke)
Trans service
"Courtesy" check

I thought for sure it would be a lot more than that considering the 2-piece plugs. Thankfully only one of them broke, because they charge a 1/2 hr labor for each one that does. So now the truck runs like new and I couldn't be happier.

Wow they changed all the plugs for that? I still need to do mine, maybe I'll just have them do it.:thumbsup:

Wow... I guess those plugs are a real ***** to change! What do you mean by two piece plugs? Two pieces after they break, or they come in two separate pieces??

They get carbon build up, and the head becomes stuck and breaks off when removing. It's a one time problem, as the replacements have a special coating to prevent this. I still need to change mine and not looking forward to it. I'm at 72k :rolleyes:

2820178920103168012S600x600Q85.jpg

if this happens there is a special tool that pushes the ceramic down into the head, and then you can tap the head to remove. Luckily the kit is under $60 bucks on amazon now. But it use to be $300-400 and only from snap on.

Wow, talk about a long reach plug!:eek:

Steve, I have 106,462 and I'm pretty sure these were the original plugs. Like I said, only one of them broke so, you might be ok. I have a friend that has the special tool to take out the broken pieces, but I didn't want to bother spending a day doing plugs on my truck. I was going to the dealer for the recall anyway, so I just let them deal with the plugs. :0

Any difference in power with new plugs?

Now that it's running right, it definitely has more pep. I only drove it home from the dealer and it hasn't gone anywhere since so I've only got 3 miles on it. :) I'll drive it around a little tomorrow and let you know what I think.

if this happens there is a special tool that pushes the ceramic down into the head, and then you can tap the head to remove. Luckily the kit is under $60 bucks on amazon now. But it use to be $300-400 and only from snap on.
There is a thread on one of the F150 sites that has a way to make the tool for cheap. I'll look for it.

It's got to be better than the older 5.4's tendency to pop plugs - for a while, all you could do was replace the head when it happened.

It's got to be better than the older 5.4's tendency to pop plugs - for a while, all you could do was replace the head when it happened.

it happened to zukman

I'm starting to believe that whole, "Don't flush your high mileage transmission fluid, just replace the filter and fluid." stuff. Trans went out Saturday night...

Thankfully my dad has an extra vehicle that I can use until mine gets fixed.

310635_2794827233756_1350711270_33172424_829925365_n.jpg

^-- tilt-shifted? or blur effect?

That sucks dude, that's the one thing that scares me about these 150's is the trans going out. I already went through that with JP, and $3000 dollars later years ago:mad:

In warning signs or just went out?

I know when it went out in JP, I really had no warning, I just started home from work and then it wouldn't go into 3rd. after a few miles the trans light started blinking, and I'm thinking...yeah no S#!+:rolleyes:

Errr...where's the Ranger? :confused:

Ranger is still acting as a shelf in the garage registered non-op.

That's exactly what mine is doing. 3rd gear just neutralized after it goes through 1st and 2nd.

I got a call from the shop after they did their diagnosis and they said it needs a full rebuild, which I figured. The guy said the 4RW75E are usually an 80k unit... Options are they rebuild it with a 12mo 12k miles warranty or they get a factory unit which has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. The factory unit is about $3500... I said F that noise and they are going to rebuild it for me for $2200 out the door.

Tow_Trans.jpg

I'm at 74k+ right now, so I guess I have some time:(

I wonder if we can just a 6 speed and the computer out of a 2010, i run it?

If the 6 speed is anything like Toyota's, I'll pass on that. My friend's Tundra feels like it's searching for a gear the whole time you drive it.

My truck might be done tonight, if not, for sure tomorrow before 10am. I miss it, as Range Rovers are the biggest pieces of **** ever built...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the 6 speed is anything like Toyota's, I'll pass on that. My friend's Tundra feels like it's searching for a gear the whole time you drive it.

My truck might be done tonight, if not, for sure tomorrow before 10am. I miss it, as Range Rovers are the biggest pieces of **** ever built...

It's all in the transmission tuning, I'm sure with an aftermarket tuner any problems like that could be easily fixed.

Back