Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
I guess this can go here. :)

This is replacing the 2003 Yahama Roadstar, mostly because I missed the 1993 XR650L. Having been riding dirt bikes most of my life, I've been itching to get one of these, and the time finally came.

It's a 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400 SM that I traded my Roadstar for last night.

It's basically stock with the 3x3 air box mod and has been rejetted. It also came with a complete set (pics later) of Warp9 off-road wheels w/sprocket, DOT knobbies and a chain for the dirt set-up. I don't really have too many plans for it in the way of mods, because I want to keep it as reliable as possible since I'll be using it as my DD. These engines are pretty bullet proof anyway. I do plan to get a Yoshimura exhaust system and find a new sticker kit. That's about it.

This morning ready to ride to work:
Bike.jpg

I already mounted the GoPro on the swing arm and the handlebars to get some good video when I go through the canyons. I'm going to need to make a better mount though, this one was a little shaky.

SM_GoPro.jpg

FirstTurn.jpg

Caught up to a co-worker on the way in.

Raul.jpg

This thing is a BLAST!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. I miss the chit out of my 650L.

oh man... ive wanted one of these for the longest time... :confused::notworthy

Grant, me too! I've wanted one since they came out, but couldn't get my hands on one. I've been trying to sell that Roadstar for over 18 months. I finally found someone that wanted to trade.

Sweet bike colin! If I could I think that style would be cool. duel purpuse PLAY on the weekends and drive ya to WORK on monday! lol!!

Nice.

I'm just jealous because you can ride right now..

Ohhh snappy Mc. Snap!!! You got it! Time to drift those corners.

Oh, btw, you need to work on those chicken stripes!

:D

Warp9 and Dunlop off-road wheels and tires.

RearWheel.jpg

FrontWheel.jpg

Sweet bike colin! If I could I think that style would be cool. duel purpuse PLAY on the weekends and drive ya to WORK on monday! lol!!
Thanks, Mark. That's exactly why I wanted another one of these.

Nice.

I'm just jealous because you can ride right now..
How much longer for you? How's the shoulder coming along?

Ohhh snappy Mc. Snap!!! You got it! Time to drift those corners.
You know this, MAN! I need a new rear tire first. I've got a new set on the way, though! :D

well you got the better end of the deal IMO... now you got me looking all over craigslist!!!;)

How much longer for you? How's the shoulder coming along?

Looks like at least another 6-8 weeks for the collarbone. It's finally fusing from the feel of things, but the next set of xrays is still 2 weeks off.

I'll probably never get to ride a motorcycle again, the GF is demanding that after the scare she got. :(

So when are you going to replace the Explorer now:p:

Cool bike though:thumbsup:

Looks like at least another 6-8 weeks for the collarbone. It's finally fusing from the feel of things, but the next set of xrays is still 2 weeks off.

I'll probably never get to ride a motorcycle again, the GF is demanding that after the scare she got. :(
I've got a few people that don't want me to ride. An uncle of mine, has gone down about 5 times and one was pretty serious.

So when are you going to replace the Explorer now:p:

Cool bike though:thumbsup:
When I can save the money and when Winter has time to help fab on it. :)

Mounted the camera up front for a different view. I used the roll-bar mount for the GoPro (thanks Adam :thumbsup:), and tested it out yesterday. I need to lower it about 1-2 inches and it will be good-to-go. It's mounted to the fork so it turns with the wheel and fender, but you can see the travel of the wheel as the tire goes through it's cycle.

GOPR0003.jpg

When I can save the money and when Winter has time to help fab on it. :)

Well at least the money part will happen:p:

Zukman had a really bad bike accident when I was really little. After that Zukmam, said no more bikess.:rolleyes:

It's not if you go down, it's when...

As always, I'm just being smart, and riding as careful as I can. It's not usually the biker, but the person driving the car who doesn't see them that causes the crash. Even the guys that ride smart, don't split lanes, etc...

I'm headed for some canyon riding this weekend. :)

I wasn't splitting lanes when I went down, traffic came to sudden halt.

Wear the protective gear, mine committed suicide to protect me.

Wear the protective gear, mine committed suicide to protect me.

Always do.

I have a Bell Helmet, but I have one of these on order.
Shoei Hornet DS:
Shoei-Hornet-DS.jpg

I have last year's model of this jacket. Looks very similar:
2009_Shift_Racing_Air_Avenger_Mesh_Jacket.jpg

Working on a pair of these. The outside is made to look like a "skate" shoe, but the inside is molded with hard plastic like any "high-top" boot for ankle protection:
2009-Shift-Racing-Kicker-Shoes.gif

Did the homemade sliders after work today.

Cheap ass walmart skateboard wheels (no bearings)
some all thread
2 washers
2 lock nuts

I'm going to paint the all thread, washers and nuts black...

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

I also got a new 'dual-sport' rear tire as the stock was just about to go. I've also got some stock replacements coming in (free) at the end of the week.

new-rear-tire.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Stickers!!

IMG_0071.jpg

I'm going to be selling the dirt wheels and tires soon. With that money I'm going to get the Yoshimura full exhaust. YES!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha I like your FROADER stickers on the swingarm. :thumbsup: lookin scchhhhweeet!!!:p:

Back