Front door speaker adapter kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front door speaker adapter kit

Paul Lazaro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I recently bought kicker 40CSS684 6X8 component speakers to replace the factory for my 2017 Explorer. I need an adapter kit to mount the new 6X8 woofers. Kicker said it was a straight replacement but that's not the case. I have been checking all over the internet but can't find a 6X8 speaker adapter kit. I contacted Metra and their tech told me to use their Metra 82-5606 speaker kit which is a 6X9. Has anyone use this to mount 6X8 speakers or suggestion for me to use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used to be an car fi installer for best buy. 6x8 speakers will fit in the metra 6x9 adapters. The tabs on the 6x8's will line up with the adapter holes.

Edit* Sorry forgot to mention there will be some gapping between the adapter and the speaker. So your seal won't be all that great.

I used to be an car fi installer for best buy. 6x8 speakers will fit in the metra 6x9 adapters. The tabs on the 6x8's will line up with the adapter holes.

Edit* Sorry forgot to mention there will be some gapping between the adapter and the speaker. So your seal won't be all that great.
Thanks brokkanic. I decided to return the 6X8's and get 6X9's instead to make my life a little easier. Do you know what speaker adapter you used for both front and rear speakers? Metra technician told me to use Metra 82-5606 for the fronts and Metra 82-5607 for the rears.

Thanks brokkanic. I decided to return the 6X8's and get 6X9's instead to make my life a little easier. Do you know what speaker adapter you used for both front and rear speakers? Metra technician told me to use Metra 82-5606 for the fronts and Metra 82-5607 for the rears.
I ordered my speakers through Crutchfield so I used what they sent me. Checking my order slip, it was...... Metra 82-5602 Speaker Brkt Ford Explorer 11-up for 6"x9" & American International NSB710 95-up Nissan SAP, 6-1/2 & 6-3/4

But if I had to pay for the speaker adapters I wouldn't have bought them. I would've just hollowed out the factory speakers and used those to mount my new speakers.

The adapters are different for different speaker sizes.

Back