Front End Conversion (to 2016+)

telram

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Don't have one yet
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried a 2016+ Explorer front end conversion on one of the earlier 5th Gen models?

I'm thinking by replacing, fenders, bumper, trim, fogs and headlights this might be feasible. I'm not sure if the hood would need to be replaced too.

It seems the biggest challenge will be getting the headlights working and maybe some odd trim pieces that need to be fitted.

The only thread I came across about this was here, and there wasn't much useful info.

Just curious if anyone has tried this already.

Thanks
T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a 2016+ Explorer?

The lighting setup is very different, and there's two different BCM calibration levels even on US market vehicles. You'd also have to acquire the proper ballasts to drive the LEDs as well.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a 2016+ Explorer?

Actually I came across a 15' that was involved in a small front end collision. The bumper, headlight and fenders will need to be replaced. The car is fairly affordable and would need new parts, so I'm thinking of swaping to the 16'+ parts.

The lighting setup is very different, and there's two different BCM calibration levels even on US market vehicles. You'd also have to acquire the proper ballasts to drive the LEDs as well.

Thanks for the info. Are the lights controlled through the BCM? If it's just a matter of getting the ballasts then I can probably manage that.

Yes, but some models have a headlamp control module as well. My high trim model with signature lights does not. I think base and PI models use the HCM for whatever reason. BCM will send a signal in all instances AFAIK but it may not be the final module in the chain before the lamps actually fire.

You're probably in for some as built model trickery as well--the BCM cares whether it's a halogen bulb or not on the other end of the wire.

Even if you drop in a 2016+ BCM you might have issue with the other electronics in the car. Sorry I can't be more helpful--but something to consider.

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried a 2016+ Explorer front end conversion on one of the earlier 5th Gen models?

I'm thinking by replacing, fenders, bumper, trim, fogs and headlights this might be feasible. I'm not sure if the hood would need to be replaced too.

It seems the biggest challenge will be getting the headlights working and maybe some odd trim pieces that need to be fitted.

The only thread I came across about this was here, and there wasn't much useful info.

Just curious if anyone has tried this already.

Thanks
T
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back