Front Strut Bearings (2) Replaced | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Strut Bearings (2) Replaced

after two days, still no idea what is wrong .
Dealer claims they are trying to locate an "electronic ear" to help find the issue.
They got a digital one from another dealer today but don't like working with it.
So the ordered a non-digital one that should be there tomorrow.
I am very concerned that they can't figure it out.

Noise heard is a "klunk" like somethin is rolling around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just got a call, apparently noise was from front left sway bar.
going to pick up car hopefully all is fixed.

My car had been making a noise in the passenger front when turning the wheel. it sounds like a coil spring make a noise. turns out the strut mounts need to be replaced. $760 for new mounts with new struts. Also the rear brakes are worn, leaky rear shocks, and they mentioned a leaky front PTU seal.

I have read about all of these repairs on this site other than the PTU seal. I am just having the struts and rear brake fixed. I might try the shock replacement myself.

Just had both front strut assemblies replaced with little over 50k on my 12 Ex. Not holding up from what is posted here.

I got the car back from the shop with the two strut mounts replaced with two new struts. I had 90k miles on the car. All the noises are gone when turning the steering wheel.

I think only one side was bad, but figuring the other might go soon it was recommended to replace both.

The passenger side strut bearing went out twice on my 2013 before I hit 70K miles. I upgraded both struts to the Police Interceptor ones since the cost was the same, but it took six months for the passenger side to come in. That's right, it took six months. No issues after 20K miles.

The passenger side strut bearing went out twice on my 2013 before I hit 70K miles. I upgraded both struts to the Police Interceptor ones since the cost was the same, but it took six months for the passenger side to come in. That's right, it took six months. No issues after 20K miles.
Hello Wardster,

I’m glad to learn that all is well your way.

Keep an eye on it, and I’ll be here if you need me!

Tricia

5,000 miles and a lemon?

Dealership told me that dust is a big contributor to the lifespan of these bearings. We live on gravel..6 miles to closest oil. Maybe thats why the fail at 44k miles.

2nd trip to the dealer in 6 months.
-Brought the vehicle to the dealership because the front bumper came lose - pin came undone.
-Front window jumps when being rolled down
-Sunroof squeaks when being opened
-Noise from the rt front suspension

Just learned that the RT front strut bearings have to be replaced... What??? Read online and there are tons of people with this problem.

Sounds to me like somehow, the Chinese have a hand in this...somehow. :eek:

As a person who was in the industry for 35 years as a mechanic, I can tell you that these suspension problems with the Ex are not normal for you low mileage folks. Sounds like some defective parts.

On the other hand, if you have 80 to 100k or more on your Ex and have this problem, I'd have to say it's normal wear and tear and if you are not me, you will pay the price for someone else to do the job. If you are paying $700 plus for the repairs, that's the price. There's more that goes into cost than labor and parts. It's all figured into the cost. I can guarantee that if I should have this problem in my future, I will use better than OEM parts to fix the issue and I'll do the job myself.

Sorry that you all are having a problem with this. Some of you have a legitimate complaint with the lower miles on you Ex's, the higher mileage folks not so much, IMO.

By the way, $35 will get you a strut compression set from AutoZone, providing you have the rest of the tools to do this job. :salute:

Sounds like Washer on Spin Cycle

Anyone ever experience a noise while driving 40mph+ that sounds like a clothes washer on spin cycle?

Anyone ever experience a noise while driving 40mph+ that sounds like a clothes washer on spin cycle?

If it's coming from the rear, then it could be the wheel bearings. Mine was making a similar sound and that's what resolved the issue for me.

UGH......thanks, how many miles did you have when that happened and is yours 4WD?

UGH......thanks, how many miles did you have when that happened and is yours 4WD?

2WD - I had them replaced when I changed out the struts, so that was in the 70K range. Can't speak for the 4WD version, but the 2WD is a bolt on bearing assembly. I tried to get it off myself in the driveway, but I didn't have the tools required to break the old one free so I took it to a shop.

Thanks, I have been back and forth to deal since I bought it for front end noise and it never seems to get resolved. in may they replaced the strut thinking that was the bowling ball noise I heard only to find out that wasn't the issue and resolved it as being a bolt on or in the sway bar. Now this happens....very frustrating!! thank you for feedback.

Thanks, I have been back and forth to deal since I bought it for front end noise and it never seems to get resolved. in may they replaced the strut thinking that was the bowling ball noise I heard only to find out that wasn't the issue and resolved it as being a bolt on or in the sway bar. Now this happens....very frustrating!! thank you for feedback.

No problem. Hope you get the issue resolved.

so I guess multi-quote doesn't work well on this site.

anyway - when you say washer on spin cycle what do you mean? Not to be a // but my washer is very quiet.

do you have a grinding sound, thumping, or a whirring sound? does the frequency go up with vehicle speed - does it get louder when on the brakes

if not thumping - then I'd put even money on a wheel bearing also, but I'd look to a dragging brake caliper and/or worn brake pads. both is an easy check and ruling that out would lead back to a wheel bearing.

Well, went to dealer this am and you are the winner, they are now replacing the wheel bearing. I can tell you this is not making me feel warm and fuzzy about keeping this car any longer. too much front end work in 18mos.
Cowl, Strut, swaybar repair now wheel bearing!!

was it in an accident

does it sit long periods between drives

does it go through lots of snow/salt or very rough roads?

just curious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No to all questions the noise started after a 4 hr trip. I drive it at least 30-50 miles a week and at least 100 -150 weekends.

Back