Front upper & lower ball joint boots | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front upper & lower ball joint boots

audioholic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
`04 XLS
Hello all,

Is there any source out there for buying ball joint boots - just the boots vs. a control arm or ball joint assembly? Or has someone cross-referenced boots from another vehicle that can be utilized? I have a 98 Sport 2WD and a 99 XLT V8 AWD that the ball joint boots have split on. I have been keeping them cleaned/lubed regularly so there's no slop present in the ball joints and any wear is minimal. By the way, if anyone else is nursing ball joints with split boots I have had success in using motorcycle chain lube - it's good quality lube and it stays on since it's designed to not be flung off.

I've searched online for boots without success, also searched this site and found nothing conclusive. It seems strange to me to have to spend $2-300 per vehicle in parts on upper arms and lower joints plus realignment when boots are all that's really required. I have the tools and the time but can't source the boots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boots arent sold seperately. Once the boots are torn, the grease inside pours out, dirt/water gets in, and the damage is done.

The balljoints need to be replaced. Putting new boots over it will do nothing to save those joints.

Sorry.

If you really only want the boot, buy a $30 replacement ball joint of the same make as the one you have installed, and install just the boot on it. Personally I wouldn't do all the work and NOT replace the joint too...

Also, if you're splitting boots, you could be over-greasing them. One shot every oil change (or every other as you see fit) is all that's necessary. More is not necessarily better in this case.

I have some boots that may work for you I bought them for the same reason but was too late and just replaced my ball joints. They would only fit your lower ones though and I'm not home right now or I would get the brand/part number for you.

I had the same problem as you. My solution... aftermarket balljoint boots from Energy Suspension part #9.13130R. The are for a Mustang GT, but they share the same dimensions as the Explorer. So far, I've had no problem with them.

daystar part no. KU13027BK also fits

Thanks for the suggestion and part numbers. I figured something out there had to work but no catalogs showed a listing. Both vehicles have the original Ford ball joints and pass inspection, neither have any play in them, just deteriorated boots. A new set of boots should keep them from self-destructing and will keep me from having to climb under there so often.
:chug:

Back