Front Wheel Bearing replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearing replacement

Air in the steering rack, probably because you moved the wheels while car was lifted. You need to do several full left-to right steering excursions, with engine (pump) running, to air it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I'll try that. I've driven it to work the last 2 days with no noticeable improvement, but I suppose road driving doesn't involve much full-left or full-right wheel turning.

I do remember later on in the process hearing a sound that I swear sounded like fluid pouring out of something while I turned the spindles by hand, but no fluid anywhere. May have been air coming into the steering system.

Well that seems to have worked. I had to drive hwy after work and had some trouble at 70mph (kinda scary) but before I went home I tried several more hard turns and had 0 issues after. Glad it was a simple fix.

Good to hear.

I just did this on the passenger side. Pretty straightforward process. But now I'm having a brake issue. It seems to be ABS related, but I can't tell.

There is some fluid leaking from one of the pistons in the caliper. Should I replace the caliper?

Yes if it's leaking go ahead and replace it.

Yes, definitely... leaking caliper might lead to lack of braking on road.

I did just replace the caliper. Seems that the ABS sensor on the new hub assembly is bad. I am going to exchange it.

I hate doing jobs twice. Especially when the replacement part is faulty.

There is some fluid leaking from one of the pistons in the caliper. Should I replace the caliper?
I did just replace the caliper. Seems that the ABS sensor on the new hub assembly is bad. I am going to exchange it.
I hate doing jobs twice. Especially when the replacement part is faulty.

I don't think that the sensor is leaking anything... I am confused.

If I remember correctly, you can swap just the ABS sensor on the hub - it has just a small bolt.

If I remember correctly, you can swap just the ABS sensor on the hub - it has just a small bolt.

When I replaced the hub assemblies on my XLT, I unbolted the old sensors and left the old cables in place. I removed the new sensors from the new hubs prior to installation and installed the old sensors on the new hubs after they were in place.

No problems in the last 30,000 plus miles.

I'm just about to do the same thing on my Mounty if I ever get a dry day on a day off . . . 2 hubs, 2 LBJs, plus rotors, calipers, pads & S.S. Braided brake lines all the way around! Should be a fun day (or two?). I've never done LBJs before but this wonderful forum taught me how to do it!

I used the new sensors that came with the hubs. But I have kept the old ones too before discarding the old hubs.

I just replaced my left side wheel hub assembly today in the snow. lol I went to junkyard & did a self pull on one for $20. Cleaned it up & made sure to carefully pull the abs sensor & clean it good including down in the hole. Reassembled & used the blue lock tight on the hub bolts & caliper bolts. All done & good to go. Front end quiet & abs light out. I found that a medium size pipe wrench works great to hold axle in place from rotation during disassembling & a crowbar from ground to wheel bolts during resembling hub.

I wasn't aware that the ABS sensor could be switched. I'll try that before I disassemble what I've done already. I thought that since the assembly came with it, it had to be replaced with the assembly. The old one has over 189,000 miles on it. And I paid for a new part, so shouldn't the sensor which is part of the part that I purchased be new too?

Well, I switched the sensor from my old hub assembly to the new one. No change. So I disassembled everything and exchanged the new hub assembly for a newer one. That did the trick.

Anyone have a source for the hub assembly mounting bolt? The one that screws in from the rear to hold the hub/bearing on. The part number for the '02-'05's is 1L2Z-1107-AA but I don't know if that one will fit a '98. Any info anyone?

Back