Fuel gauge issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge issues

JamiesTSI

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a 2004 sport trac with a fuel gauge problem.

A few months ago the gauge started acting funny by reading correctly then reading empty. It did this for a few days then all it would read is empty with low fuel being indicated.

I replaced the fuel pump assembly today and the gauge still reads empty. I did notice that when I pull the #25 fuse it seems to reset the instrument cluster. It actually looks like the gauge needle moves ever so slightly above the E mark. After I shut the truck off then back on the needle will rest below the E mark.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Keep it filled up...

haha.. just kidding of course..

Looks like you did the most logical thing by replacing the sending unit... There is a way to test before replacing..

take the lead wire off the sending unit and ground it... the gauge should go to full...if it doesn't .. the gauge is bad...

Is yours a flex-fuel? Sounds like mine when I had a slight problem with the wiring harness plug directly behind the interior fuse panel. Bumping this plug set things straight, although my plug had been monkeyed with. Check all your wiring and plugs. Testing for standard and flex-fuel gauges is different! Pulling the fuse on mine did exactly what yours did for you.

Yes, it is a flex fuel truck. I'll have to give the plug a wiggle. Thanks for the idea.

I was under the impression that the additives they are putting in the fuel where putting deposits on the float assembly causing it to tread inaccurate. I guess in my case that was not the case. :(

I think I read somewhere on the internet that the cluster gauge could also be bad. Also some kind of card that plugs in the back of the cluster gauge that controls slosh.

I noticed this morning the needle was resting on the red part, when I started the truck it actually moved belowe the red mark. Not sure what it means just thought I'd throw that out there to.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Back