Fuel pressure of 60-66 normal? 4.6L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pressure of 60-66 normal? 4.6L

edcantu9

Reaction score
Fuel pressure of 60 when the key is on the on? and a fuel pressure of 66 normal in idle? 4.6L 98,000 miles. 2003 Mountaineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the issue you are having?
  1. The fuel pressure regulator is supposed to hold your fuel pressure at~ 32-40lbs depending on which vehicle and application (rough numbers for this purpose).

What is the issue you are having?

• The fuel pressure regulator is supposed to hold your fuel pressure at~ 32-40lbs depending on which vehicle and application (rough numbers for this purpose).

Thank you for the response. The car has a rough ideal I can feel random misfires. LTFTs indicate around -15% on both banks when idle. Normal under load. Recently I have coils, spark plugs, air filter, and pcv valve. Did not make a difference.

I also have a 2003 Escape with the exact same issue. I figure once I fix the Mountaineer it will hopefully be the same thing in the Escape.

35lvltx.jpg

Hey it looks like you have access to some good information!

I got an 03 4.6L V8 Mountnaineer. Idling rich -15% and about -5% under load. No codes, but can feel a misfire. vacuum is good and steady, fuel pressure 60 and steady. MAF sensor good, IAT good. ECT sensor how do I test that? Engine temp is reported good on dash and on scanner.

I have a Dasmaxi ds708 arriving this friday to get more diagnostic data. I dont want to replace anything until I know what is wrong.

I would appreciate any guidance you could give me.

I am mechanically inclined and have tons of tools.

@TechGuru
Your chart does not indicate year of design. I have heard of different pressures being used in 3rd gens between 2002 and 2004. True or no?? imp

That was for 2003. 2004 is showing ALL 50-70 and 2002 is all over the place.

2nqutdz.jpg

That was for 2003. 2004 is showing ALL 50-70 and 2002 is all over the place.

2nqutdz.jpg
@TechGuru
Could there possibly be printing error on several of those? 30-65 psi is an awfully large range of "acceptable" pressure, it seems to me. Do you have info on where and under what conditions these specs apply? If at the fuel rail, surely doubling pressure will result in too much fuel injected, unless some other variable is not being seen. PCM adjusts injector time based on "look-up" data tempered by HO2S data, but can it adequately compensate for a doubling of pressure? Just wonderin'......imp

Back