Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fuel pump upgrade

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Caleb Roberts, March 20, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Caleb Roberts

Caleb Roberts New Member

City, State:
      Oelwein, iowa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000, Moutaineer, 5.0L
      i have a fuel pump going out in my 2000 5.0l moutaineer, question is can i upgrade to a better pump on stock setup with no issues or will i need to tune this. pump setup is walbro 255lph pump kit for 1999-2001 5.0l but was unsure if it would be more of a headache then its worth. i have a engine i plan on building for the mountaineer, but its stock as of now besides rear cat delete and x-pipe dual 2.5" exhaust with stock manifolds and spintech mufflers.
      Thanks, Caleb​

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. VR4

VR4 Active Member

City, State:
      vancouver, wa
      01 explorer
      Unless you're planning on forced induction just go with stock.

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      You can install the pump you need now to save doing it again, the 255lt/hr isn't big enough to create any issues. No tune is required, the FPR lets the excess go back to the tank.

BTW, I just bought a 255 pump from HFP for my V6 99 truck. Theirs are supposed to be quieter, they have a better warrantee, lifetime, and it's $70 shipped on their site. Our pump is the smallest inlet, 3/8", part HFP-342. I'm going to put a 306 in my 99 later, but I have to drop the tank to clean out old gas now. I'm tossing the old pump for sure.

Here's a link to it
      http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23900673-hfp-255lph-intank-fuel-pump-ford-explorer-1997-2002.html