Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Rhett, August 6, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      Yes, nothing sounds like the whine of the original pump. On my 1994, the outer ring on the tank was about as rusted as could be. Luckily I managed to get it to hold on. Unless you could find some bolt on deal, you might just have to get a new tank if it ever comes to that. On my 1994 mazda B4000 (I assume rangers have the same tank) it has a plastic screw top that works fantastic. I don't know why explorers didn't have this.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Is that Mazda B4000 tank the same size as the 1st gen tank?

4. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      No. Mine is a regular cab, short box. The tank only holds about 15 gallons. The fuel sending units are though. When the one rusted on my B4000, I pulled the unit out of my 1994 explorer and it fits perfect. The electrical connectors are different, but I just used spade connectors instead. It unfortunate how reliable this truck has been, I've driven it daily for almost three years, and the only repairs have been the clutch slave cylinder and the fuel sending unit rusted out. Both those happened right after I got it, and I've been driving it trouble free since. It gets about 21 MPG, but only a range of around 200 miles with the small tank. I still think the explorer is a better platform than the ranger.

5. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      In terms of dimensions though, I guess it has to be smaller. So, worst-case scenario, I could swap in a Ranger/B4000 tank and it would fit? Or maybe, I would just go with a fuel cell, if I had to. I like the idea of that plastic screw-on sender assembly, that sounds really superior.

6. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That should be the best answer if yours won't seal properly at some point.

I'll let you know how dumb my idea ends up being for my 98 to add the BW4406 and electric shift(TOD). I've got my old 93 tank, and a damaged 99 for material. I'm going to try to graft the top section of the metal tank with the pickup etc, to my plastic tank. The plastic pre-95 tanks take up less space compared to the later steel units. The 93 4dr tank is the same length as the 95-01 2dr tanks, so I can keep the 22 gallon capacity if it works.