• Register Today It's free!

Fuel safety cutoff switch

Mike1950

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac
My switch is failing intermittently. A nuisance right now, but eventually it will give up the ghost.

If it goes out before I can order a replacement, can I simply jump the wires in the connector (bypassing the switch) to temporarily reactivate the fuel pump?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely, it's been done MANY times before. Also make sure to inspect the connector carefully, just as common to fail
as the inertia switch itself. BTW, don't be tempted to leave it "jumped", it is a very good and functional safety feature. GL

Great, thanks! I did blow out the connector with cleaner, we shall see. I did notice they sell replacement connectors.. now I know why. :)

No, I won't leave it "fixed". Allergic to fire... :)

I've never heard of an inertia switch failing, it's a well designed part. I'd look everywhere else in the circuit, before that. The connector is much more likely, especially being above where the passenger's feet are. That's not a great place to have it. The connector can easily be damaged, the switch, I think it'd take a hammer to break it.

If the switch got me worried, I'd swap a used one in without a thought, just as reliable. I have at least one someplace, from parting out three old Lincolns wit a friend. I'll never need one ... until I want to add one to my old Ranchero.

Back