Fuel Tank Pressure/Vacuum release at cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Tank Pressure/Vacuum release at cap

97 EB Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Still playin with the ol girl...

I've noticed the last couple stops at the gas station, when I open the cap you can hear the release of pressure or vacuum. I don't know which. Just wondering what that's all about. Do I need a new cap? And could it be related to the intermittent lack of power I have? At no time in particular (it happens warm, cold, full tank, half tank, or near empty tank of gas) I'll just lose what little power my 2.3 has to offer. It always comes back within a few (not more than 15) seconds.

The only CEL code I have is related to the upstream O2 sensor - don't remember the codes, but I have one for high voltage and one for low voltage. Just haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

It never fails to start - in fact, always starts easily, and has never left me sit. Runs pretty great most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..IIRC this means your charcoal canister or evap hoses from the tank to the canister and before the SPV are plugged..

..I know there is a thread on it here somewhere and I believe it was in the second gen Forum...:scratch:

Many thanks, Tbars! Found a couple threads in that forum that were helpful. Am I crazy, or is that canister next to the battery on my truck? I didn't see anything under the spare, but I didn't pull the spare out either. I'm assuming its only under the spare on the ex?

..The 95-97 Ranger still have the charcoal canister on the drivers side in front of and below the battery..

..Second gen X's (and I forgot what year Rangers) have them located above the rear differential...So, you are not going crazy..:D

Good to know :)
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Back