further "kitting" rear end- please give your opinion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

further "kitting" rear end- please give your opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dunno. I don't have too much else to do on the weekends. I won't be around this weekend though, and I don't have my truck so I hope you are fairly close to the campus......

I am interested in seeing your truck, but I don't know how much I would be. :D

On a side note, I just bought an EE airdam, so I am thinking of stuff I could do w/ that.

well, i'm at jefferson commons. 94 and huron. we have projects going on all the time. but we'll be trying to finish this particular one up this weekend (well almost done- e're going to let it set-up for a month or two unpainted before we paint)

as for the EE airdam- as you know thats the basis for my front bumper. as it was all summer it was stock (the air dam part) and just molded on. right now i'm widening the airdam, and adding a contour to match the rear piece i added. It won't look anythign like the EE dam soon.

you sport has like grey bumpers right?

My sport as of now is gray and blue. I am getting into auto paint, so I have been monotoning it slowly. Side by side. I have finished all sides except drivers, so the bumper is blue. Mediun Wedgewood Blue specifically.

Damn Expo, I am in Frontier Hall. I was looking at a map, and it isn't far at all! Cool.

i'm surprised you haven't seen me or anythign in the last few months, thats real near by

I know. I am confused about that. That is convenient walking distance :D

i've got this all done and on the car. Its black primer for now- and gonna stay that way for at least a month (want to make sure it has time to set-up/find problem areas before i paint)

I think it looks great, probably ended up a little more subtle than i'd originally envisioned, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

only took 5 days of work

I got sideswiped slightly by a firetruck last nigh and htey will have to pay for a new wheel for me. Anyone know of 20" saleen wheels? I'd love to run 20" by 10" on the rear.

my next project is going to be a custom navi style grille

also, will be getting custom plates soon becaue i'm moving my back-up camera due to the cops hassling me

Cool man. Sorry I couldn't come by. I thought the weather was too poor to just go and stand around. I was gone all of saturday also.

That sucks about the fire truck. Did they damage any paint?

I read about your cop incident on FXN. :D That was quite the event.

lol, yeah.

i worked pretty much all day friday and about 8 hours yesterday. the weather wasn't great, but it could have been much worse.

the last time i did bodywork on my truck it was snowing last spring (and i only had 2 days to build a rollpan) so this was a lot better.

you'll have to come by this weekend or something

yeah, I hope the weather will be better. According to the forecast, it won't be raining next weekend, but that isn't always accurate. I will plan on it though. Does fiberglass have any trouble curing in these low temperatures? I have heard that the reaction is run by light? Is this true?

I am disappointed that I can't paint anymore that it is so cold out. I don't have a great facility to paint in, so I have to do all my work in summer. I need practice!!

heat/light i'm not much of an organic chemist (although i have had 2 o chem labs) but i can tell you that shining a shop light or two on fiberglass will cure it at any temperature. Warm temps are overrated. In fact its sort of nice at low temps because it won't begin to cure until you want it to. It extends the working time with the resin until i want it to end and put the light on the area.

i'll be brainstorming ideas for what i want to glass up this weekend. I need to do that custom grille thing, and there is literally tons of glasswork to do on the monte carlo if we can just get the pan to not leak on the tranny and get it down here. we'd need another 5 gallon jug of resin though to get started on that.

Ok, cool then. I guess you almost always have something going on.

yeah, i have my bros escape right now. starting to glass up the entire cargo area for a new box for his 2 L5 12s. will definitely have something going on with that still this weekend.

Attachments

• bk1.JPG
    bk1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 459
  • bk2.JPG
    bk2.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 468
  • bk3.JPG
    bk3.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 478

e

Attachments

• bk5.JPG
    bk5.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 451
  • bk6.JPG
    bk6.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 458
  • bk4.JPG
    bk4.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 480

r

Attachments

• bk7.JPG
    bk7.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 459
  • bk9.JPG
    bk9.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 452

Looks awesome - but the rear still looks too high. It's out of proportion with the rest of the truck: side skirts and front bumper. However, I like the shaping of the 'glass a lot.

I read JamesT's post earlier about keeping the rear higher, and it makes sense, however the difference appears more than a few inches in these pics.

Keep up the good work!

I like it alot. :thumbsup: I dont think i would have done it any differently.

Wow, that airdam is awesome. When can you do mine? lol I really like it.

thanks james! without your approval i would have had to redo it.

i'll do your front bumper as soon as you either take it off the truck and give it to me, or buy a new front bumper and bring it to me.

i vote that we go find a messed up 95-97 front bumper in a junkyard, and build it all up then you can just swap it onto your truck and sell your current front bumper later. i just say 95-97 because i think it looks cleaner modified etc. but your stock bumper can definitely be made to work as well. either way it wont take more than a week to modify it so much that it won't really matter either way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks better than I thought it would. My hat is off to you King Of Fiberglass :D

Back