Fwd explorer in winter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fwd explorer in winter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am leaning toward the Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072 for Winter. On 1010tires.com, customers have given it a 4.3 of 5 rating. I have the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires on my 2011 Limited now and although they seem to have a fairly aggressive tread pattern, they are not a Winter tire. Looking to put the base model 17" steel wheels on the Limited. They should fit but the dealer wants to try one first to confirm. The 17" tires are much less expensive than the 20". Will also consider the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI.
They do not seem to be available in the States.

Another Ottawa'n! Gooday and how r ya now?

I have been wondering what tires to get for my FWD XLT. I am definitely buying the stock 17" steelies but would like to know if they fit as well. Let us know what you find out.

Where do you get your tires? Local shop or Internet?

Another Ottawa'n! Gooday and how r ya now?

I have been wondering what tires to get for my FWD XLT. I am definitely buying the stock 17" steelies but would like to know if they fit as well. Let us know what you find out.

Where do you get your tires? Local shop or Internet?
G'day nextreme and welcome to the Forum. :wavey: I bought my Yokohama Parada Spec-X at Frisby Tire. I'm now seriously considering the BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSI (245/65R17) for the 17" steelies. I will likely get them through my Ford dealer in Casselman. I just spoke with the parts guy and he mentioned that the 17" wheel will fit all the models and had just ordered a set of the tires and rims for a customer. TPMS was quoted at $56.60 per wheel. So I figure I'm looking at around $1500 for everything, tax included. I will then get a 5% reduction in my insurance premium which works out to about a $140 saving over the 4 year lease. Better than nothing. ;)

Sweet to the Ottawa guys let me know what you pick up and where! looking for winter tires for my new X! :)

Sweet to the Ottawa guys let me know what you pick up and where! looking for winter tires for my new X! :)
Welcome aboard Gropper:wavey:

Peter

If you dont get sensors...does that mess up anything other than the TPMS...will the TPMS start wokring once the stock tires are put back on in the spring?

If you dont get sensors...does that mess up anything other than the TPMS...will the TPMS start wokring once the stock tires are put back on in the spring?
I assume that you will likely get a TPMS alarm if you mount wheels without the sensors. I know the owners of Highlanders did. Once the stock wheels are put back, that should set everything back to normal.

Back