Gabriel Max-Control vs. Monroe Reflex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gabriel Max-Control vs. Monroe Reflex?

KWH

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Opinions?

See: www.gabriel.com

I'm comparing these to Monroe Reflex shocks for an upgrade from worn OEM's on a daily-driver (onroad-only) Explorer Sport.

Trying to find out how these compare in ride-quality, handling & longevity on an otherwise stock truck driven mellow-moderate - onroad.

Thanks!

See also: www.monroe.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is nobody out there using the Gabriel Max-Control?????

:banghead:

I've been able to find NO user feedback on this shock after several Google searches, yet it's been on the market at least 2 years. Argh.

I just put monroe reflex on my '94, and I like 'em so far. I do all on road driving. I am comparing to the stock POS's that had 130K on them, though, so I don't know how much is quality and how much is comparison. There is some serious hop to the wheels on rough roads, but I am pretty sure my springs are shot. Haven't replaced those yet. I put valved Gabriels on my Olds Alero and loved them. After a year they are still perfect.

DCExploder said:
I just put monroe reflex on my '94, and I like 'em so far. I do all on road driving. I am comparing to the stock POS's that had 130K on them, though, so I don't know how much is quality and how much is comparison. There is some serious hop to the wheels on rough roads, but I am pretty sure my springs are shot. Haven't replaced those yet. I put valved Gabriels on my Olds Alero and loved them. After a year they are still perfect.

Thanks for the reply - anyone else out there w/ opinions on either of these 2?

TIA,
-K-

celly <---happy Reflex owner. (no clue about the other).

My last experience with Gabriels was in the late 90's on a Bronco II. Gabriels are (or used to be), in my opinion, a good shock for the money. I don't know about this "Max-Control" shock they make now, though.

I just put some of the cheap ($13.00ea) Gabriel Guardian shocks on tonight. My Ex still had the original shocks at 110k miles. Made a big difference even though they are the cheapies. 90% of my driving is 5 minutes back and forth to work each day, so I didn't see the need to get anything special.

MAX CONTROL Installed...Reviewed...

Ok, I installed the Gabriel MaxControl shocks today & let me start by saying this is the first Ford Explorer I have ever driven and it had 84k mi on OEM shocks. That's my only basis of comparison, fyi.

Having said that, I would say in the first 50 or so miles I've driven on them, I've been impressed. 1/2 HWY, 1/2 CTY. Overall ride characteristic is controlled, leaning toward firm - not rough, though.

On the HWY, the truck felt planted and controlled. Brake dive was minimal during a simulated emergency braking from 70 mph to 40 mph. Handling was solid/secure on onramps & offramps.

In the CTY, the shocks handled uneven pavement, bridge seams, bumps & undulating pavement with poise & control, without shaking the body to pieces.

I did one specific test driving at varied (but slow-er) speeds over speed bumps in my apartment complex and found something interesting: at 3-4 mph driving over the speed bump, I would notice the normal rise and fall of each axle as each crossed over the bump. (Normal). However, when I went over the speed bumps at 8-12 mph, I noticed the shocks reacted quickly to absorb the majority of the bump, allowing the frame & body to stay surprisingly level as the truck passed over the speed bump. I attribute this to the floating piston which is designed to achieve this result when the shock encounters harsh bumps, potholes, etc. In my opinion, The Max Control passes this test with flying colors.

The rear axle (of course) bumps up higher than the front in the speed bump test because of the lighter weight on the rear axle, but settled quickly & was pretty controlled, nonetheless.

I like the build quality & the sharp looking boots included with these shocks & considering the engineering, they seem like they're designed to last.

My only (minor) complaint: I wasn't impressed with the upper bushings included with the kit for the FRONT & elected to re-install my factory bushings in place of the Gabriel provided ones. The OEM's seemed to offer more cushion & coverage than the Gabriel bushings. I would recommend that anyone choosing these shocks buy a set of new replacement OEM upper shock mount bushings for the front, to do it right. (Pretty inexpensive).

I pick up a set and swap them in at some point...

Thumbs up so far! 9 on a scale of 1-10.

:thumbsup:

I have just installed new Monroe reflex on my 2002.
One factory shock was leaking and I just installed new ball joints and tie rods too.

I really was hoping the ride would be significantly improved.
I cannot say that.

For the most part these are identical to the factory ride. There is a slight firmness improvement but until they have some more miles on them I don't think they are that much different.
The description of the shock allowing the suspension to collapse to keep the car level is really what I wanted. The back end was bouncy before.
Its is slightly less bouncy but the truck follows the terrain very closely.

Ride compliance might have improved a bit but I would not expect any significant change with Monroe Reflex.

Back