• Register Today It's free!

Gas Cap Stuck on

khkiley

Reaction score
City, State
Central Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddier Bauer
The gas cap on my '99 explorer was frozen in place. I managed to get all the ice out from around it and free it up.

But it won't come off, it turns about a quarter turn and then binds. won't tighten and click either.

I poured hot water over it to ensure that I got out all the ice, but to no avail.

It feels OK for the quarter turn, but then after that it just binds in either direction.

I've been told to just grab a set of channel locks and force/break it off, but I would like to do that as a last resort.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you resort to the Caveman approach, Take a second and disconect the downtube to preclude any objects from falling into the tank, Should be a joint in the downpipe connected together with a hose clamp, That and a few screws that holds the assembly into the gas door

Is the gas cap sitting square on the filler neck? it's possible it wasnt put back on correctly. I've seen this happen on other cars and wrenching them off sometimes seems to be the only answer..

ammo troop:

Good idea, I was concerned about possible pieces falling in if the cap cracked.

Then I can take the whole assembly out and remove the cap on my workbench.

Doug:

It seems to be on fine, I can feel maybe an eighth of up & down play in the cap, so it doesn't seem like it was cross threaded, and it feels ok for that quarter turn.

Thanks,

Kurt

Good luck with it, worse comes to worse you have to buy a new filler neck from either ford or a junkyard. I see you're from jersey if you need to find some used parts i can give you directions to some good scrap yards.

id mabey source the parts u could possibly break before u try and persuade it off =) just incase lol

Hey Doug,

I see your from Califon, I'm not too far away in Far Hills. You ever go up to Schooly's Mountain ? My girlfriend and I go up there for a few drinks and some KarateOke, sometimes my soon to be brother in law plays there on open mike Sundays.

Yeah, if you know any local scrapyards let me know, the only ones I know of around here are GI, it that is still open haven't been there in years. The rest are in Woodbridge, I used to live in Elizabeth.

Kurt

Far hills? damn i used to goto school in gladstone. schooley's mt? is that bar? I usually visit some of the more local places. if so i've never heard of it. There are a couple of decent scrap yards up in the washington area, one of them is port murray auto salvage. or you can try pro auto recyclers down in flemington. I also know of one scrap yard out in hazleton pa that has alot of parts and most everything is dirt cheap it's called harry's u pull it.

Doug,

Yeah, Schooley's is a bar, it's now called the Mountain View in, just changed owners in the fall. It's in Long Valley

My cousin George lives in Califon off of Mountain road, or Mountain top road, something like that. A couple miles away from where 512 & 513 come together by the A&P, well I think its an A&P.

We used to go to a bar called Tony's on 513 until it changed over to a restaurant.

I'll have to look up those salvage yards, it's good to know of some local places to find parts.

Kurt

Tony's still has a small bar, i also goto the brew pub every so often in long valley, where in long valley is schooley's? I dont know of any mountain road around here i live right up the road from the a&p

there is probrally ice preventing you from pushing it down to twist it try jiggling it around but you might just need a BFH

Doh! its Hill Road, not mountain road, right off of slyker. If you go up slyker, you past that corn silo on your right, in a little bit you would make a left onto hill. My cousin lives up there,

Schooley's Mountain road is the same road that Long Valley Brew pub is on. If you come out of the brewpub and make a right, it takes you down 517/523 to OldWick/Pottersville/Tewksbury, you make a left and you cross through the 513/24 intersection and start going up the mountain, after a couple twists and turns it turns into Schooleys Mountain Road. At the top on the left is the Mountain view Inn AKA Schooleys.

It's a nice area for bike riding, we follow 512, to 517/523 to Lamington and back. Nice and scenic, except the climb up 512 is a real ball buster.

Kurt

Try some isopropyl alcohol based gas treatment and pour it around the gas cap. It should free it up.

Ah ok I know where you're talking about. Dude that's scary your cousin lives off of east hill road that's where i live, i might know your cousin. there's alot of nice biking in this area, i used to mt. bike alot on patriots path and whatever park that is next to tempe wick up in morristown.

How about a blow torch? :p :D

Fhantazm:

If you want to show me how to use the blow torch, I'll stand back and watch! :D

I busted it off and replaced it. The top cracked off, then I tried getting channel locks on it, but it just rotated, stuck to the plastic part of the fill pipe. Then I busted out the middle of the cap and the whole thing came out.

Thanks for everyones help.

Doug:

Where abouts on hill road are you ? You must know the country store/deli on hill road.

Kurt

Good to hear man. I can only imagine that happening to me. God id be pissed :)

Woodglen General Store? I've been there many a time. I live right off of east hill on backhus estate rd.

Back