Gas modified by Acetone results | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas modified by Acetone results

Looks like it works on my f-150...MPG#'s are imperial (20% larger than u.s.)

Date_..............dist._.............litres _.........Mpg............. acetone?_

May 17 _.........540 kms_..........70 litres_.........22_...........no

June 6_...........504 kms_..........68 litres_.........21_...........no

June 16_..........560kms_...........69 litres_........23_...........YES

Looks like a slight improvement..
Added acetone again, so the next tank will also have acetone...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Date_..............dist._.............litres _.........Mpg............. acetone?_

May 17 _.........540 kms_..........70 litres_.........22_...........no

June 6_...........504 kms_..........68 litres_.........21_...........no (1)

June 16_..........560kms_...........69 litres_........23_...........YES (1)

June 23_..........563 kms_..........75 litres..........22.............YES (1) (2)

Notes:

(1) Contstruction on one of the streets I take to work, adding about 10 minutes to my commute, costing about 1 MPG, I figure

(2) Towed boat for about 130 kms on this tank, lowering mpg.

Added acetone again today, so the next tank will also have a

twolostminds said:
Hi guys,
Is there one central location where we can see a table or spreadsheet of your MPG results?

--->> CLICK HERE <<---

This Chart shows that folks that DID experience fuel mileage increases where in the range of 6.6% all the way up to 23.9% !!

Just an observation here......

It appears to me (after reading thru dozens of postings) that Acetone is really MOST effective during HIGHWAY driving. Those folks that experienced NO gain (or even some loss) have done the MAJORITY of their driving in the city.

Can someone please explain again exactly HOW the Acetone mixture is helping to Increase Fuel Mileage ?? I believe I read somewhere that it helps to Atomize the fuel mixture. ??

Katmandu said:
Can someone please explain again exactly HOW the Acetone mixture is helping to Increase Fuel Mileage ?? I believe I read somewhere that it helps to Atomize the fuel mixture. ??

From the Above listed website...

How it Works

Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.
-- Environmental Terms Glossary
(U.S. Military)

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Additive: changes the specifications of the base it is added to

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

Best thing to do is add it just before you fill up, to make sure it mixes better

To be short and sweet about it, it looks like I get more like 15 mpg with
89/90 ethanol and about 17 mpg w/ regular 87 w/ 2 oz acetone per 10 gallons. I have tried several tank fulls by now..

Yes acetone will give you about 2 miles a gallon, and increase ignitebility, and acceleration, but it destroys the lubricating properties of gasoline. For whatever percentage mileage increases, your engine life will decrease. I get 10 miles a gallon, so I go through a lot of gas, but its still not worth it to me.

Do you have any hard evidence that proves acetone shortens engine life? If what you say is true, I would also rather have a less efficient engine than have to get a new one soon.

Well I missed this thread (and any others dealing with acetone), but I'm certainly going to try it out. I'm going to remove my Superchip (Premium is too $$$) and start with a reset cimputer and some acetone. I wonder if there will be a difference if I wait until the computer relearns before adding acetone or if I just add it from the beginning and let the computer learn with the acetone in the gas.

Anyhow, the computer is coming out tonight and I have 2/3 tank of premium. My average right now is only about 13.5-14 mpg, so it'll be obvious if htere is any milage increase.

motojoe86 said:
Yes acetone will give you about 2 miles a gallon, and increase ignitebility, and acceleration, but it destroys the lubricating properties of gasoline. For whatever percentage mileage increases, your engine life will decrease. I get 10 miles a gallon, so I go through a lot of gas, but its still not worth it to me.

The last time I checked gasoline was very abrasive. Hell I used to use it get adhesive off my windows.

Blee1099 said:
The last time I checked gasoline was very abrasive. Hell I used to use it get adhesive off my windows.
Blee, tell me your jokeing, abrasive gas :eek:

motojoe86 said:

The lubricating properites of gasoline went out the window when lead was removed.

Your engine will actually run cleaner since there is a more complete burn. I believe there are emission numbers to support that claim, somewhere in this thread.

The quanities of acetone are so low, you could put the same ratio in a glass of water (4 drops/1cup) and it wouldn't hurt you at all, you might not even taste it.

I dont think it was the 'abrasive' nature of gasoline that took adhesive off your windows, it was probably the fact that the gasoline disolved the nonpolar parts of the adhesive.

Yeah I was joking.. :D Actually I'm running Acetone now and I've gone from 16 MPG to about 19 to 20 MPG.

Blee1099 said:
Yeah I was joking.. :D Actually I'm running Acetone now and I've gone from 16 MPG to about 19 to 20 MPG.
Your on the verge of becomeing a milage monster, good for you :D

I still believe that if there were only benefits with no side-effects to using acetone in gas, it would be common knowledge to use it in every vehicle every time a person would fill up - we're not the chosen ones here, lol. I've already heard (or read somewhere) that standard gasoline at the pump has additives to lubricate the upper cylinders.

On another note, saying that 4 drops of acetone in a cup of water (or gas) is not concentrated enough to do damage is not a proven theory - try putting 4 drops of tabasco in a cup of water, and I guarantee you'll feel it! :) Plus tabasco doesn't have a "poison" warning with a picture of a skull on it like acetone, lol... For ultimate results, try 4 drops of cyanide in your morning cup of coffee, and have a phone with 911 already dialed in handy! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok...I missed it somewhere in the old thread, but how are you guys keeping this stuff in your vehicles and not ruining things? A small leak or spill and you just blew some bucks.

Back