Gas modified by Acetone results | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas modified by Acetone results

Katmandu said:
Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE.

And that's why the diesel guys use propane injection. Allows almost 100% buring of the fuel. SO it gives a diesel improved power and efficiency.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just returned from a 700 mile round trip.

The MPG increased from 20 MPG Highway to 22 MPG.

Again, my Ex is a 98 4.0 SOHC, 5RR5E, 4x2, 4.10 gears and NO mods (yet).

I'm SOLD on Acetone usage and will continue using it from now on! :thumbsup:

Time for me to chime in. I decided to try acetone in two of my vehicles to see what would happen. I tried it in my 05 F-150 with the 5.4 3 valve, fuel injected Triton motor and in my '87 Zuk Samurai, which is (poorly) carbureted with an aging 1.3L 4 banger.

After approximately 1 month of use in the F-150, I notice absolutely no improvement in gas mileage, performance or motor vibration. Zip. I have discontinued use with the F-150. It may be improving my emissions, but since we do not go through emissions testing out here, I have no way of verifying how much better the emissions are.

After roughly the same usage in my Samurai, it runs smoother, starts easier, and gets about 10-15% better mileage than it did on plain gas. I started using it about 2 tanks after I did a motor swap, and the improvements are all on the new motor. I will continue to use it in the Samurai.

As these are two significantly different fuel systems, I'm wondering how much the fuel management system, head design, intake design, etc. are affecting these results. From my VERY limited tests, it appears that the more sophisticated motors benefit less than the older motors, which makes logical sense. The newer fuel systems and motor heads are better designed for more thorough combustion and cleaner emissions.

Has anyone else run acetone in multiple vehicles? I'd like to see some data that would either support or refute my theory.

can I leave my apten chip in ?,I've been running premium
fuel due to the chip.

I'd like to give this a shot,
2 oz of acetone/10 gallons of fuel.
was that the preferred mix ?

William Schumacher said:
can I leave my apten chip in ?,I've been running premium
fuel due to the chip.

I'd like to give this a shot,
2 oz of acetone/10 gallons of fuel.
was that the preferred mix ?

Sure, leave the chip in.

2/10 is preferred, at least for me

thanks Al !!

I'll try this out in a few days when it's time to refill.

any more results on this subject or did all your engines blow up. lol

****atoo said:
any more results on this subject or did all your engines blow up. lol

No engine failure for me.

I am still experimenting with the blend.

By the way for us metric guys, 2 oz per 10 gallons is about 59 ml per 37.85L of gas. maybe somebody with better math skills can make a more relative ratio for regular use... (that a hint! I plan on trying this out)

Any new results?

BBQ_HotDogs said:
You guys are pure nuts. You should not be doing this to your engines. It makes the engine run hotter and if you hit the exact point, it will crack your block and /or heads. Acetone is NOT for cleaning out engines. You can get the same results with high octane gasolines and new plugs. I want to know who will be the first to come here and say they blew there engine because of adding Acetone to the fuel. Acetone is not the additive you are looking for...

Acetone mixed with gas has the same btu's as straight gas. It has been tested a lot. I have used it for a while and when you figure out the exact amount of acetone to use in your truck, you will be suprised. It has given me 5.5 mpg better on my 98 SOHC. Check out this link...

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

My results seemed to be lacking. I tried for several tanks with no real results. I tried running 3oz to 10 just to see if I needed more but no joy. One thing I have been trying to figure out is why my truck is running so cool. It barely passes the N in normal. Maybe my truck was staying in open loop. I guess I will try again. :(

I'm going to try this in my new Toyota Prius. So far my lowest tank average has been 40 mpg, and the highest is 53 mpg. We'll see what acetone can do for me.

DocVijay said:
I'm going to try this in my new Toyota Prius. So far my lowest tank average has been 40 mpg, and the highest is 53 mpg. We'll see what acetone can do for me.
Now thats just greedy! :p

Josh said:
Now thats just greedy! :p

Yeah, well...

It's a throwback to my Explorer days, when getting 2 extra mpg was a big deal!

Josh said:
My results seemed to be lacking. I tried for several tanks with no real results. I tried running 3oz to 10 just to see if I needed more but no joy. One thing I have been trying to figure out is why my truck is running so cool. It barely passes the N in normal. Maybe my truck was staying in open loop. I guess I will try again. :(

I bought a 94 model brand new. The whole time I had it , it ran too cool. The dealership worked on it several times to try to get the engine to warm up. They said it really needed to get to operating temperature. They changed anything we could think of. Never did solve the problem. I sold it with 168,000 miles on it. I just delt with it. It never became a problem.

3oz. to 10 gallons is not always the best for your engine. Start with 1oz. per 10 gallons and work your way up to 3oz. Keep track of you mileage and see which mixture helps you the most. My explorer likes 2oz. per 10 gallons the best. My mileage will fall off if I use more than 2oz.

badgett said:
I bought a 94 model brand new. The whole time I had it , it ran too cool. The dealership worked on it several times to try to get the engine to warm up. They said it really needed to get to operating temperature. They changed anything we could think of. Never did solve the problem. I sold it with 168,000 miles on it. I just delt with it. It never became a problem.
Problem is when your truck runs too cold it does not go into closed loop which can cause bad gas milage. I'm lucky to get 15 on the highway now. I used to get 18 to 20. Around town I am geting 12 to 13MPG. Thats the worst I have ever gotton.

Thermostat stuck open maybe? That would definitley cause the engine to never warm up. I had that problem on my 94 when I had first gotten it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

T-stat is new. I replaced it 3 weeks ago. The engine is acting the same as before.

Back