• Register Today It's free!

Gas tank relocation.

naterob1

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I want to put my tank where the spare tire is, like on the older models and where the old cherokee's is. First of all to to get it out of harms way, to improve ground clearance, and lastly make a departure skid plate, with the tank inside obviously. My only concern is that I beleive the fuel pump is inside the tank. She is my daily driver so everything would have to be done in one shot. So any advice would be well received :). Thanks, Nathan

Im Pretty Sure your going to need a different tank. I've pull the tank before and its long.

You would definitely need to switch to a square tank, the stock tank is far to long to go sideways on the truck, there wouldn't be a kit or anything as you're the first one that will be doing this (IIRC), however if you got a bronco tank or the tank out of a mustang or Crown vic you could possibly fit it up and since you have to do it all in one shot i would suggest sourcing the parts and having a full functioning unit ready to bolt up you would have to move the filler next and extend the lines that go too and from the pump and gauge. it is possible, you'll just have to do it slowly.

Justin

Back