• Register Today It's free!

Gas tank Skid plate

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
Hey guys, just wanted to find out if anyone has had issues with their skid plate that goes under the gas tank. My skid plate is fine other than the fact it is sitting in my garage and has been since my vacation into Kentucky back in March.

The bracket which supports the plate in the back rusted out and no longer could hold up that heavy skid plate. I removed it because it was hanging there and have not been really off the road for a long time. Because of this, and other things.

I think my only option is to drop the tank, and make a new bracket which can be removed. That way, I can remove it to put the tank back on, then the bracket, followed by the skid plate. I was honestly surprised about how heavy duty that skid plate is.

Opinions?

Why not simply make a new bracket, weld it to the skid where the old went and bolt it back into place like the factory did? Or, are you referring to the bracket that is on the FRONT, and the skid is held in place by two bolts, plus a "tuck under" tab?

The bracket that rusted out on mine was towards the back of the gas tank. It had to hold it up since it was hanging down when my buddy asked me what it was. Of all places I was at a JY when it was noticed but they only had one stripped out 93 EB

I am pretty sure there was more than two bolts holding this thing on. The skid plate is the only thing that was removed. There is still some sort of cover the goes around the entire tank, just not around the bottom.

When I was doing some offroading back in '07 I high centered and bent up the front edge of my gas tank skid plate, but it stopped me from going farther forward. It ended up saving me from rupturing my gas tank and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. I am glad I picked up that skid plate from a junkyard and installed it before I left for that trip.

Back